Disposing Unused Antifreeze?

Sarcasm used in a cruel way has not been appreciated much on this board. Reason and knowledge are respected. Mea culpa, I may have overstated my position. When I last checked no major manufacturer liked PG-based coolant. Maybe Chevy has changed their tune.

The Ford TSB does mention polypropylene specifically. You must not have looked it up. The Amsoil link that you provided does imply that their coolant is universal. Neither Amsoil nor Old World Industries reveal their formulation as many universal coolant suppliers do. The universal coolant suppliers that do hint at their formulations generally indicate that they have no silicates or phosphates. Just as an example, my modern automobile has specifications that say that the coolant MUST have silicates. The only logical conclusion is that the so-called universal coolant must be for an alternate universe.

On the Old World Industries site that you linked I could find no specific recommendations including manufacturers’ specifications for their Sierra (PG). They had many manufacturers’ specifications listed for their EG products.

The auto enthusiast link that I posted is not a Ford link, but the information in it is from a Ford document so it is “from Ford” assuming that the poster is not lying. Let’s try to be fair; you have provided no link of the likes that you appear to be asking for. The only links you provided are from PG coolant manufacturers that are hawking their coolants. How dispassionate can they be? You appear to be ignoring the synopsis of the Ford TSB that I composed. I gave the specifics for a reason, so you can look it up if you are truly interested. Apparently you are not interested in new knowledge. You only want to push your precious PG coolant.

If you want to understand the documents in the links, don’t just search the document for a key word, read them. I posted them to illustrate the complexity of coolant chemistry considerations. I am not going to use a product just because the seller says it is good for me.

“Foul my own nest”? That is pretty harsh. More than one poster has confirmed that sewer disposal is accepted in some areas. Why can’t you accept that? I am quite familiar with sanitary drain disposal regulations in several areas of the U.S.A. including radioactive materials, as well as inorganic and organic chemicals. If you look into it you will see that local regulations vary a great deal depending on the water supply situation in particular areas and what kind of waste water treatment they do. This is not Switzerland. They have their problems and we have ours. It is a nice place to visit, and maybe even have a second home, but I would not want to live there.

I called the local sewerage authority and was told that the coolant can go down the drain. This was after I called the local government recycling authority and was told where to take oil, but that they don’t accept coolant. I called several auto supply stores that accept oil and was told that they don’t accept coolant. I tried hard not to dump it down the drain. If you want to pay the freight, I will send it to you. Then again, what will cause more environmental harm, disposing of it in the manner suggested by local authorities or shipping it miles away? You decide. In addition think about whether you want only the 50-50 stuff that I drain out, or do you also want the many gallons that are included in an extensive flush so you get every impractical yoctogram of EG.

Sorry your post got hijacked. Soak it up with absorbent material and throw it in the trash.

Where is this heavy metal coming from?

Given his generous, knowledgeable and useful posts, I expect Keith would make a great neighbor.

I think Autozone takes antifreeze. I know they take used oil, so check there.

Contact your state EPA office. They’ll be able to guide you to the proper protocol for your area.

I thought I remember that years ago a french winery was caught putting it in wine to sweeten it up

I know this entire thread has been about disposal. But if it is unused, why does it need to be disposed of? If the bottle was leaking, pour it into a milk jug or washer fluid bottle and mark it, and save it for when you may need it again. If you still dont want it around, put a free ad in the local paper. Someone else could definitely use it.

Antifreeze is pretty deadly for humans too! I know this first almost hand! I would not put it in any container that might get mixed up with another liquid. I would not put it anywhere that kids might be able to access it. It should not enter the water cycle whether used or unused. This is a serious toxic “waste”. I am not concerned over engine oil as much, but teaspoons of antifreeze will kill.