Code for EGR valve stuck open after replacing EGR valve

I had a code for the EGR valve stuck open. I tried cleaning it but it didn’t help (and didn’t seem that dirty). Then I tried replacing it. Both times the code came back. What should I do now?

I reset the code each time by disconnecting the battery.

How about posting the exact code, please

I know you have a Pontiac Montana . . . what year, and what engine?

I want to say 1999, but I forget :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Have you verified power and ground are good?

A possibility is a plugged egr passage

Without a scan tool, you won’t be able to command the egr valve, to verify your repair

Ah, yes, I suppose that information is important.

It’s a 1999 Pontiac Montana with a GM 3.4L LA1 V6.

I didn’t ask for the exact code, but working backwards it sounds like it’s probably P0404.

I haven’t verified the power/ground.

you sure you got the carbon off the pindle? That’s where leaks occur when it starts sticking.

It seemed pretty clean to me, but it shouldn’t matter at this point since it has a new EGR valve now.

Any drivability problems? Engine idle OK?

The idle is a bit rough I think, sometimes better or worse. No problems once it’s moving though.

You might try this:

Don’t work backward because you can’t trust that the guy who read the code interpreted it correctly. Have an auto parts store read the code for you and get the actual code number from them.

Is there a way to make the computer relearn the EGR valve without the scan tool? Would disconnecting the battery to reset the code for instance have done this?

Disconnecting the battery is not the same as resetting with a scan tool.
Autozone, etc. can reset the light. Could you do the EGR unplug-replug routine in the parking lot?

[quote=“insightful, post:11, topic:94107, full:true”]
Autozone, etc. can reset the light.
[/quote]I don’t know about other stores, but AutoZone employees are NOT permitted to clear error codes.

I would be looking at the hose for the pcv valve, cracked or not connected at the other end my guess.

@NYBo is right. I stopped at an Advanced Auto parts to get a code read and they told me that the scanners they use are not designed to erase codes.
This was in Wisconsin but I doubt that it is a law…rather a company policy.

I’d rather have it that way, so when the person brings me their car/truck …the code is still present.

Yosemite

Yeah, I was thinking several year ago. Apparently there was a lawsuit. One report from a year ago said the salesman made the customer push the “clear” button. Anyway, a decent scan tool is cheap (~$100) at Harbor Freight.