Chevrolet Light Trucks - weak parts / weak design

What happened with GM’s design and engineering department when it came to light truck engineering? (This is not intended to be flame bait.)

Example 1: My 2005 Chevrolet HD 2500 Silverado- steering shaft bearing failure. GM Fix: Use more GM lube My fix: replace with Borgeson aftermarket. Second issue- extreme brake pedal play and vibration. Issue- plastic pedal and bearing surface. Fix- Traded it in…

Second example: 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe- (wife’s car). Issue- brakes not as responsive, growling, poor stopping. I inspected all four (discs all the way around) and found that each pad exhibited pad friction material cracking and two rotors had warped. The car has less than 30k and is a “grocery getter.” My fix: replace with Stainless Steel Incorporated kit with replacement pads and rotors.

So, having owned Chevy trucks since 1986, when did it become acceptable to design in plastic and low quality parts in the cars’ control and safety systems?

When Americans decided to pay $1500 less for Tundras built with the same parts.

Mr. Josh,

You are right. Curiously, I traded the Silverado HD 2500 Turbo Diesel for a 2007 Toyota Tundra with 5.7 iForce. Why? I needed to tow a 6700 lbs boat reliabily.

I’m convinced it is not a function of input COGS labor. It is a function of GM business tactics.

But why? Why “kill” one of their most profitable lines (light truck/SUV) by putting these products on the market?

-Matt

Let's face it, light trucks are not real trucks, they are designed for ssuburban dwellers who think trucks are cool, but have no need for one.