Changing transmissions from auto to manual in Mazda 6

And in most jurisdictions it is probably illegal as well. Each transmission/engine combination has to meet exact EPA standards for emissions and fuel mileage.

Best to sell the auto and buy a manual at a much reduced price. That makes more sense.

1 Like

Agreed . . . Iā€™d like to see the smog technicianā€™s reaction when/if a car thatā€™s supposed to have an auto trans rolls in to be tested, and itā€™s got a 6-speed stick

ā€œuh, sir, Iā€™m going to have to fail you right nowā€

And then weā€™re going to see the customerā€™s eyes pop out of his head and hear his jaw drop and hit the ground

:scream:

I would think a bit more research and info might be needed. The doner engine has the manual trans attached to it. I canā€™t see the sense in manufacturing different body styles based on trans, so it would be a parts swap including linkage and pedals and shifter, plus if you get the whole engine setup for a manual trans, you might need new stuff or swap out old stuff to make it work with an auto. Our emissions check is a pass based on warning lights only.

Ah man. Got me again. 2010 this time.

The irony is that those who strongly dislike old treads respond multiple times to them. Why donā€™t you guys hang a calendar on your wall to compare the date of the tread with?

1 Like

Idea ,Carolyn,please dump all discussions older than 6 months .

Better idea - fix the sorting of most recent threads so the ones 5 years old donā€™t show as most recent.

2 Likes

One of the benefits Car Talk Community provides to those with car problems they need help with is the ability to search for threads containing a particular topic, so to see how others have handled the same situation in the past. Removing all the threads older than 6 months would be deleting a lot of potentially helpful information.

1 Like

I think some of us (not me) might still be a little irritable from getting used to the new system so there isnā€™t much tolerance left. I dunno. People seem to be a little more irritable than usual. Maybe its the atmospheric pressure or something-it does have an effect.

[GeorgeSanJose] GeorgeSanJose
http://community.cartalk.com/users/georgesanjose
August 24

kmccune:

Idea ,Carolyn,please dump all discussions older than 6 months .(Or
not ,some of these posts are are exhaustive and rather superflous
,its like the quandry I had when scraping autos ,I would end up
with tubs full of useless hardware and only occasionally finding
something of any use,I would spend more time and effort going
through the tubs of mostly useless specific junk ,only to find
someone had already used the part I needed or it wasnr there ,I
always ended up with greasey fingers ,-Kevin)

One of the benefits /Car Talk Community/ provides to those with car
problems they need help with is the ability to search for threads
containing a particular topic, so to see how others have handled the
same situation in the past. Removing all the threads older than 6
months would be deleting a lot of potentially helpful information.

Visit Topic
http://community.cartalk.com/t/changing-transmissions-from-auto-to-manual-in-mazda-6/45685/28
or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

[kmccune] kmccune http://community.cartalk.com/users/kmccune
August 23

Idea ,Carolyn,please dump all discussions older than 6 months .

Visit Topic
http://community.cartalk.com/t/changing-transmissions-from-auto-to-manual-in-mazda-6/45685/28
or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here
http://community.cartalk.com/email/unsubscribe/f73f54231af0db88bd41372a827c57111542650ca05b4f6fbdb833e1d9aabd3e.

Perhaps the forum software would allow topics that have been inactive for a certain length of time to be flagged in some way to alert users of the petrification thereof.

1 Like

Just close old threads to further posting.

1 Like

I have seen a 1953 Chevrolet and a 1954 Chevrolet converted from a PowerGlide automatic to a manual transmission. The conversions even included a steering column shift. Even back when these conversions were done back in the early 1960s, I didnā€™t think it was worth the effort. One car that was almost impossible to convert was the 1953 Plymouth HyDrive to a manual. On the HyDrive, the engine and transmission shared the same oil. The firewall was different from the HyDrive to the manual. This was one conversion, that if it could have easily have been done, would have made sense as the HyDrive was quite troublesome. However, for those who really want a manual shift, I am planning to market a universal conversion kit. I obtained the parts at WalMart. I bought a short bathroom sink plunger in the hardware department and a gearshift knob in the auto parts department. I affix the gearshift knob to the end of the plunger, grease the suction cup end of the plunger and then mount it on the floorboard between the seats. I will be advertising my conversion kits on late night television for the amazingly low price of $19.95 plus shipping and handling. To the first 500 customers, I will provide, absolutely free, a second conversion kit for that other vehicle in the household.

1 Like

LOL, I got a good belly laugh out of that one, Triedaq! Does Mrs. T. know youā€™ll be getting more cash in the door? :smiling_imp:

sometimes old threads are fun, and informative.

They could still be fun, and informativeā€¦to read. :nerd:

Even though the OP is long gone others could benefit from new posts. What is the harm?

Perhaps they stifle new thought ?(it seems they want this to be a dynamic forum)

They who? @kmccune Caroline does not seem to object and just because it is an old thread does not mean it is an irrelevant thread, hated the days of search the forum this question was already answered.

alright with her,its alright with me .My trouble is I will come across an old post I made,and wont even remember what I was posting about .