Cars over 1 million miles

Later model Checkers actually used Chevy straight 6 and V8 engines…

1 Like

I don’t doubt your word, OK4450, and it was a great sales idea, but I really don’t believe that running continuously on the dynamometer is the same on the engine as real world use. It eliminates all the engine starting and stopping as well as running in 100F++ and -30F-- environmental conditions. The starting of the engine, especially under varying temperature extremes, are where most of the wear really happens. I guarantee that Mobile engineers know this. I guarantee that their marketing people who set up this “test” chose to ignore it. Frankly, tests with intentionally misleading conclusions don’t enhance my faith in salespeople.

For the record, I’m not at all surprised that a BMW that was prepped by engineers and driven and maintained for 40k by test drivers and engineers whose goal it was to accomplish longevity of the engine, and then run on the rollers for another four years at a speed that was virtually inert for that drivetrain, sustained little wear. The test was designed to create little wear while appearing to prove the superiority of the Mobile product. They succeeded. :nerd:

I agree that the BMW test was self-serving and promotion focused. Real life experience is a much better indicator of potential life.

Mercedes used to have some program of rewarding the highest mileage vehicle found and awarded the owner a free new car while they took in his old one.

Year ago a Mid western Nissan dealer had a Nissan pickup truck sitting on its showroom floor with over a million miles on it. It was a trade-in, but they cleaned it up and it just sat there and sold more vehicles that their salesmen could.

to me that is totally cool if you can keep a car and till use it daily for over a million miles. I give the people that do this much credit. It can be expensive as parts wear out. I guess some parts are not too bad to deal with but if you get rust or need body work, then you are in trouble. Where I live near Philadelphia, some body shoppes will not touch old cars. I also think or wonder how hard it is to get parts as car gets older.