Car sputters a bit when starting, then smooths out

Hi there, my 2000 Honda Civic sputters a bit after it starts, and then smooths out and runs fine. This has been happening in the morning and at the end of the work day this week. I recently got a new starter. My battery is rather old. Could it be that?

I’ve got a 2001 Chevy S-10 doing the same thing. Whats happening with mine is the fuel pressure regulator ( or some component in the fuel metering system) is flouling the plugs after sitting for several hours. Once the engine starts and the fire in the cylinder cleans the plugs, it runs fine. You may have the same problem. Fuel that is.

The next time the vehicle sits, instead of immediately starting the engine, turn the ignition switch to the run position so the dash lights come on for two seconds and then turn the ignition switch off. Repeat this a half dozen times and then try starting the engine. If the engine starts right up and runs smoothly, the problem is with the fuel pump check valve allowing fuel to drain back into the gas tank as the vehicle sits.

Tester

Could just be a cold start issue. Check for a bad coolant temp sensor.