Can a civic pull a small trailer?

Is there that much more resistance with an 8 inch compared to a 12 inch tire? Is it worth, say, and extra $100 to upgrade to the 12 inch tires?

Have I mentioned I think this is a bad idea?

That’s your decision. If you seldom use the trailer, load well below the capacity, drive conservatively, save your money. If you can spare the $100 and use it a lot or for greater distances, higher speed, larger is better.

We are both right Whitey…the larger tire with greater mass and presents more rolling resistance intialy. Under load, and trailers are usually loaded, the taller tire flexes less on contact with the road creating less rolling resistance. As speed increases with load, then the edge begins to go to the larger tire. Insignificant rolling resistance difference between 8" and 12" wheels. What makes the discussion academic is that tire width also has an influence on rolling resistance as well as air pressure. All these variables point to safer operation of larger wheels, regardless of any resistance. If I were peddling the vehicle, I’d be more concerned.

IMVHO, it’s a worse idea putting 350 lbs in the back of a FWD car. You are right about added weight with inattention. When my kids were younger and I was stronger, I’d tow them with my bike in kid’s trailer. It was MUCH safer than loading the child on the bike; easier to control, much easier on the bike and the increase propulsion force was air resistance and rolling resistance only at higher speeds. Even then, the bike was a much safer ride with much less strain.

…load well below the capacity

Have I mentioned Honda’s recommended towing capacity for the Civic is 0 lbs.?

I just want to be sure.

“Have I mentioned Honda’s recommended towing capacity for the Civic is 0 lbs.?”

And car companies also recommend you always use original equipment parts, which we all often safely disregard. Again, we agree, but my definition of towing when a two wheel cargo trailor can safely be pulled by a Miata may be a little different. Like Bill C. the definition of “is” is important.
"Caddyman, help where are You ? I may be loosing this debate…

Civic forum…
"Trailer towing capacities tend to be spec’ed more conservatively in the
US than elsewhere. The European 5-door Civic Hatch back (not the same as
any US variety but similar in shape to the 3 door Si hatch back) with
the 1.4 liter engine has a curb weight of 1120 kg and is rated to tow
1200 kg with a manual transmission. The current US 4-door Civic DX
(lightest of the 4-door varieties) has a 1.7 liter engine and a curb
weight of 1112 kg."

Any closer Whitey ?

Since I’ve got some experts here, let me make sure I’ve got the towing procedure right. The weight distribution on the trailer should be 60% in front of the trailer axle and 40% behind it. So for say, a 100 lb load, the weight on the tongue would be about 15 lbs or so. Is that right?

I don’t mean to argue with you dagosa. I just want to let the OP know why I am not answering specific “how to” questions with specific answers. I think this whole idea is ill fated.

In these conditions, I think the weight distribution should be 0% in front of the axle, 0% behind it, and 0 lbs. tongue weight.

"“Trailer towing capacities tend to be spec’ed more conservatively in the
US than elsewhere. The European 5-door Civic Hatch back (not the same as
any US variety but similar in shape to the 3 door Si hatch back) with
the 1.4 liter engine has a curb weight of 1120 kg and is rated to tow
1200 kg with a manual transmission.”

What a JOKE!!! A Civic 1.4L towing 2500 pounds!! If you managed to get it rolling without burning up the clutch, you would never get out of first gear! The quoted figures are NONSENSE…

“What a JOKE!!! A Civic 1.4L towing 2500 pounds!! If you managed to get it rolling without burning up the clutch, you would never get out of first gear! The quoted figures are NONSENSE…”

Boot capacity to window seat down (litres, VDA method) 1352
Boot capacity to window seat up (litres, VDA method) 485
Fuel tank (litres) 50
Kerb weight (kg) 1247
Maximum towing weight with brakes (kg) 1200
Maximum towing weight without brakes (kg) 500
Maximum trailer nose weight (kg) 75

The quoted specs from Honda UK for Civic 5 door…,Tow cap Honda 3 door appears the same BTW
I accept your apology

No need if I find out my Mac Pro can go places your PC can’t :slight_smile:
And the OP question was “can”…tow 350 lbs…I feel it can tow that weight(and very little more) safely.

I say go for it. I have abused many a vehicle and they survived, if they will put a hitch on and rent you the trailer it is ok in my book.

What ever it is they are talking about it’s NOT a Civic EX… A Crown Vic would be at the limit of its capacity towing 2500 pounds…(A kg is 2.2 pounds) 1200 pounds with no trailer brakes??ha ha ha ha hahahahahah

The guy is talking about 350 lbs, I would even try that on my bicycle.

Short distances and low speeds, like taking a small sailboat trailer from my house to the lake that’s less than a mile away and the whole trip is on 30 mph roads, probably won’t hurt a Civic or any car similar to it.

I think that a small car pulling a small trailer such as a Sunfish sailboat trailer at 55 mph or so is under less stress than it is when going 70-80 mph on the freeway with no trailer.

I guess, if indeed Honda stipulates a tow capacity of 1200kg in UK for a Civic (same size as US model) http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/civic5door/ and equally find it funny… BTW/with trailer brakes, 500kg w/o. Sailing is big in Europe, and maybe Honda doesn’t want to loose those customers (and others as well) probably in an environment that that’s so expensive to drive in and doesn’t promote as many class action suits either. That’s a joke ha ha ha ha. Maybe the European model is made by Kubota ? I guess they don’t make American Crown Vics like European Civics.

“Since I’ve got some experts here, let me make sure I’ve got the towing procedure right. The weight distribution on the trailer should be 60% in front of the trailer axle and 40% behind it. So for say, a 100 lb load, the weight on the tongue would be about 15 lbs or so. Is that right?”

Sounds good…9 to 15% of GVW…the lighter the load, the more I’d adj. toward greater %, I think the hitch could have about 35 to 40 lbs fine for 350 GVW.

That’s funny. In Europe Honda says it can tow up to 2600 lbs with brakes and 1100 w/o brakes

AHHHH - No. Many years of experience has taught me not to go under 30 lbs with a loaded trailer but never exceed 150 lbs. Also go for the bigger wheels as it will bounce a lot less.

I’d go even farther and say an unloaded trailer, often the least stable, should be balanced with at least 25-30 lbs tongue weight, as most trailers already are.