Buying a rebuilt / refurbished PCM

DB brings up something that I go through all the time with my parts warehouses…or I should say when my warehouse does not have what I need. I am forced to go to the big box Auto parts stores… If they say they have ONE in stock? I always ask them to lay hands on it physically. I also tell them my name and inform them that I am on the way…if I am on the way.

Many times when they show 1 or a low number of something…it winds up not being there for whatever reason.

Another thing that can ease or prevent this phenomenon of disappearing items…is to ask for THEIR NAME… Find out who you are speaking to…and it immediately establishes culpability. You would be surprised at how much more professional things get as soon as you do that…lol. Now I dont do this to grill someone or get them into trouble…ever… But I do it to not have MY time wasted by someone else…who doesn’t really care or isn’t much interested in MY TIME and how far I have to drive to buy something… LOL The only person interested in your time…is YOU. Works like a charm…usually…HA

Blackbird

@db4690
That’s a good idea ,I’ll remember to employ it in the future .

Oftentimes the guy you were talking to on the phone squirrels the part away . . . because he’s anticipating making the sale to you within the next few minutes, when you show up

Perhaps not entirely ethical, because he’s preventing his colleagues from selling that part, if somebody shows up before you do . . . but effective

I recently bought a device that will enable me to load code onto VW/Audi ECU’s… It provides an interface for my laptop and many cables that are vehicle mfg compatable… I think it has 5 or 6 different style plugs…it even has that huge 20 pin BMW style interface…so you can plug it into the engine harness on those cars.

I have yet to try the thing… I have 8 VW ECU’s here as well as the ECU plug…which is huge…The only thing I still need to grab is the OBDII port and pigtail from one of those cars in the yard…easy enough.

After I grab that OBDII plug I will set all this up on a bench…the ECU…Powered by a 12VDC power supply…The OBDII port plug… The laptop, the Computer or pathway device… and try me some code loading and alterations. None of the stuff I bought or gathered cost over 40 total for everything… See what kind of trouble…or knowledge I can get into with these known programmable or flash-able ecu’s.

Some sites even have performance maps uploaded…that you can try on for size. With the 1.8 Turbo engine in these VW’s… Higher computer managed boost is readily available…with a few keystrokes…SHOULD BE interesting… I know I am looking forward to it. I will stick to loadable maps at first…rather than just trying to alter one specific item… Im told thats the way to go. Im also told that if the load doesnt complete or is interrupted or messed up somehow…you will then have a brain dead ECU…that is no longer at the former…and not yet at the latter map… Limbo I believe that is called.

A good learning platform, with free hardware to play with… Excellent

Blackbird

I have also called ahead & was told what I needed was in stock & when I got there they really didn't have it . Incompetent people will tell you anything , it makes one wonder how they hold down a job .

I went to Home Depot looking for double sided tape. I’m in where all the other tape is…and this 20 something clerk comes up and asks if they could help.Told him I was looking for double sided tape. He looked at me said…there’s no such thing. What a jerk. I did find it. It was in the Carpet area. On the way out the store I showed it to the clerk who said there was no such thing…he just said “Glad you found it and walked off.” I HATE shopping at those stores…but they are the only place I can buy something like that within a 20 mile drive.

I must be doing something wrong because I just do not have the trouble with places as some of the people seem to have. I even had a carpet place tell me they will save some pieces of green outdoor carpet for the shelves I keep my diecast model cars in from a job they are doing.

@MikeInNH

Wow . . . all the Home Depots in my area, the clerks are usually fairly knowledgeable. If they weren’t able to help, they got somebody who was

You probably ran into “the new guy” who also happened to be a jerk

I’m glad that you showed the double-sided tape to that yahoo. He should know that he was wrong, and most importantly, that he had the wrong attitude.

Wow . . . all the Home Depots in my area, the clerks are usually fairly knowledgeable. If they weren't able to help, they got somebody who was

You probably ran into “the new guy” who also happened to be a jerk

No they’re pretty much all like that in the Home Depot’s and Lowes. We have a few independents that are very good…but obviously they aren’t as big and close at 6 weekdays and 3 on Sat and Sun. Home Depot and Lowes went to way of Wallmart customer service a few years ago. Make sure you say high to everyone…That’s It. Don’t train them on the knowledge of the store and give them a 2 day training course on the products in their area. I do all my research on-line before I go over there. That way I don’t have to deal with the idiots.

1 Like

When I still used to get pimples on my face…I just about worked everywhere. You’d be shocked at what sales motivated people will do. After an 8 yr stint at a high end Alarm and Radio system store as an installer…I moved and became the Lead Installer at American Appliance near my home and would often sell radios on the spot when they were not exactly a planned purchase for the person. Which made me have to interact with the guys who were the electronics sales force…they used to get their panties in a bunch when I wouldnt consult them to sell the equipment.

I would argue…why ask you what I should put into or what I as a Pro Installer would recommend a customer to buy. I know what the vehicle type needs in a situation… I know more about this stuff than you (salesman)…why ask you guys?..you should be asking ME. Why? Commission… they made one…so did I. But I never cared about it. They hated it and were jealous of what happened to be a lot of sales generated by myself. Many times I would repair peoples radios or systems…and tell them they need nothing. Some people couldn’t believe it. I would say…nah…youre good to go man…you dont need anything…I got it working just fine. Sales hated that !

The problem was that when they brought all this up to management…mgmt couldnt argue with the logic or the sales I generated. Nor could they argue with the reports generated by happy and surprised people…who took the time to applaud the guy in the install bay. Was nice sometimes.

What eventually occurred was the sales guys squirreling away equipment…so as they would only get to sell the popular radios or accessories. Sillyness. This and WORSE things go on in sales environments…all the time.

Blackbird

It is my thought that there are a few good people that are content to settle in at one of these type stores & plan to stay & try to do a good job . It also seems that a lot of these type stores are a revolving door for both no-accounts & more ambitious people . The no-accounts move on because they never keep any job long & the ambitious people move on because they are always watching for a better opportunity somewhere else .
There was a Lowe’s near me long before there was a Home Depot so I normally go to Lowe’s first , force of habit I guess , & since that’s the way it is I can’t really make a fair comparison between those stores in my area . When I compare their prices online they’re nearly always almost identical . Fortunately , when I go I almost always know exactly what I want & am able to find it myself .
When I do need help I guess I would say that I usually find the employees somewhat knowledgeable about what area of the store I need to be looking in .
I will add that these are not the type of place to go looking for information about what you need but a place to buy something when you already know what you need .

Its funny…whenever I go into a Lowes or a Depot…the project I am working on bares no semblance to normal systems or anything. When I am asked what I am working on…I usually laugh and shake my head and ask them…do you really want to know ? Im always cobbling up something that has no rules or regulations…so its hard for people to help me. I can ask them to help me locate xy or z component…and do sometimes…but as for the entire picture or thing I am working on…it usually falls in between the cracks and is only limited by imagination.

If I do need help with my idea…I usually locate an older gentleman if possible. Those Old Heads have seen it all usually…know how to get things done and know there are many ways to accomplish the same thing. If you describe the issue properly…I have yet to find an Older Gent who could NOT assist me in what I am making or what I am building.

Take for instance my Grandfather…Italian Immigrant and Machinist born in Italy in 1899…4th grade education. He would save all sorts of things… Like pieces of different types of plastic sheet, or laminate or material…So he could Fabricate A WATCH GEAR out of it… He would know the diameter and how many teeth to manually cut into this gear so the clock would keep time…all with a 4th grade education. He would fall over sideways today seeing a 3D printer in action…you know ? Guys like this are few and far between nowadays at least for me…and I miss them dearly.

Blackbird

Having been self employed God only knows how much money I didn’t make because of the time I spent talking to older people , off the books . A lot of those old-timers didn’t have a formal education but they were by no means stupid .
If things totally crashed today they would be the people that would make out much better than most . It’s a shame we’re at the point now that most of the old ways of doing more with less are lost .

You have no idea how many times I ponder exactly what you just said Sloepoke. Its true…if the Apocalypse happens one day…there isnt much use for computer knowledge…at least maybe not for a while. What will be needed are the mechanically inclined people…back to basics for a while. If this happened today…I fear for the outcome. Many of the younger kids have no mechanical clue…and dont want one. I guess necessity is still the mother of invention and today…it just isnt as necessary to be a mechanical person. Personally I have found that my mechanical ability permeates many many unrelated facets of life…funny that. But its true.

Blackbird

Yep , in a SHTF situation people that can use their head & hands are miles ahead of someone that can only punch buttons . Being mechanically inclined & thinking out of the box overlaps many aspects of our daily lives , it doesn’t just apply to keeping a vehicle running . If the power goes out the market can’t even sell you a loaf of bread .

The HD by me are almost too helpful. They will insist on walking you to the exact aisle and point at the bay even if you say, I got it from here. I ask for some pretty esoteric stuff at times and they haven’t been stumped yet.

I wouldn’t cut those guys short when they ask “what’s it for?” I’ve had some off the wall intentions for common parts before and usually don’t like engaging in discussion about it but then a few times, they had alternative suggestions that worked out better than the plan I had. So now I give them the benefit of the doubt and if it looks futile after that, then I make a graceful exit…

Yeah I think I can say the same TwinTurbo… Its funny how you say that you are hesitant to get into it with them… I am pretty much the same way… Sometimes it works out when you lay it on them…sometimes you get the 1000 yd stare. It depends on my mood whether I invite them into my weird little world or not. Its gone both ways for me I would have to say.

This post…like many others has definitely morphed into something else. Hahahaa

Blackbird

Sure has , with my help & nobody has told me a reliable company to buy a pcm from . I guess I’ll take another stab in the dark & pick one . I did just receive an email from the company that has my original pcm & according to them it’s in the mail as of today .

Oh so its repaired then? Just do a search for the companies that refurb ECU’s/PCM’s…they are surely out there that is for sure. They are the way to go. Only downside is time…but your vehicle is DOWN either way…so LOL

Some of these companies offer a total new item that has been bolstered or upgraded to not be as fragile or susceptible to whatever the usual item is that fails inside of them. They also guarantee the product so…its what needs to be done.

The days of just grabbing any ECU out of the salvage yard from a similar vehicle are long since past due to numerous things…cars are getting quite complex in the area of the Brains of the thing. Thats for sure. Unless you know a lot about the matter specifically…its best to leave it to those who do.

Blackbird

You guys might find this interesting.

"Until recently, car dealers were the only ones who had access to the tools and software needed to reflash PCMs. Thanks to the passing of Senate Bill 1146 in September 2000, vehicles manufacturers must now make this technology available to independent repair shops at reasonable cost.

Starting in 2004, flash reprogramming procedures must also conform to SAE J2534 standards which allow the use of aftermarket scan tools or similar pass-through devices."

http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/support/Knowledgebase/Article/View/52/0/car-ecu-flash-reprogramming--why-reprogram

Quite a bit if info at this site.

@keith
Thanks , interesting link .
@"Honda Blackbird"
No , my original isn’t fixed , they’re just returning it to me . I’m still wondering if this company actually repairs them or maybe they just get a core , program it & send it out & hope for the best . As I stated in a previous post , I have read that at least 50% of the pcm’s that are sent in for a core are actually good & are being replaced because of a misdiagnosis .
They didn’t offer to repair my original & they said the one I bought from them couldn’t be repaired when I sent it back to them . They do advertise repairs but it makes one wonder .