Big Wheels & Low Profile Tires - Why

jtsanders–I have to keep Triedaq on his Geritol to lower the impudence of his internal resistance.

Mrs. Triedaq

That’ll keep his system runnin’ regular!

“I have to keep Triedaq on his Geritol to lower the impudence of his internal resistance.”

Is this proof that 100% of the students that take physics pass them?

Mr dagosa, my car that arrived new w/o a spare tire, compact or otherwise, has the tire well in the trunk. I suspect that if mfrs can wean us away from expecting a spare tire, then they can eliminate the spare tire well stamping too, a little more tooling and part cost reduction. Space saver spare tire is fine with me. It is far better than no spare at all.

When I compare wheel sizes and how they have changed, I think about the Morris 850 and identical Austin 850 that I first saw and drove in 1960. These cars had 10" wheels and I think the tire size was 5.20 X 10. The new Mini Cooper is based on the Morris 850 and has 16" and optional 17" wheels.
The 1960 Morris 850 used these small wheels so that a small exterior size and maximum interior space could be achieved with miminum intrusion of the usable interior space from the wheel wells. The Mini Cooper of today has the same objective, but is a larger vehicle but it seems to me has no more interior space.

I owned a '71 Honda 600 Sedan (600cc vertical twin air-cooled) for 17 years. It had 10" rims, and I recall that I had to buy Michelin tires for it as the 10" size was not available from other manufacturers.

Wha Who…the last time I was called mister, there was a none to pleasant adjective that followed. Seriously, I feel that if carmakers actually made tires that functioned well enough not to have a spare, the well would continue for stowage. Check out the Ridgeline or any SUV in need of hide able storage space. If it wasn’t for aerodynamics, I would be the first to hang one on the roof. I have always liked the rear mount on our Rav and feel the old external trunk mounts are functional but funky looking.