Bargains are still out there

The Chevy was an OHV since before WWII. You’ve mentioned F heads before I think. I don’t know of any of them after WWII. The ‘Go Devil’ engine in the old Jeeps was a flathead (L head), not an F head (also called an IOE for Inlet Over Exhaust).

Edit-see later posts for Willys F head info.

1 Like

Our first ac in the car was 1974. The first ac in the house was 1978. Relatives were coming. Wife insisted. Called the guy and installed it in two days. Everyone happy.

Regular overhead valve with intake and exhaust manifold on the drivers side.

One barrel carb. Probably 110 hp net. Kinda slow but the 3 speed helps.

This engine replaced the famous Chevy stovebolt 6

After Studebaker moved all of its production to Hamilton, Ontario, they used “McKinnon” engines, which were actually Chevrolet engines manufactured by GM’s Canadian division. Thus, this Studebaker had a “Chevy” engine.

Which was also OHV, came out in 1926, big advance over Ford’s flathead 4.

2 Likes

Must be nice having so much money that you don’t have to worry about when your next meal is, or where you are sleeping tonight, or even the medications you need.

1 Like

Yep, I kinda doubt that someone who managed to get $1900 dollars for a car is going to spring for a $1000 paint job.

3 Likes

$1000 for a little sand paper and a rattle can, followed up by a coat of wax?

I’d live with it as-is. Like others have said, ‘patina’ is ‘in’ these days.

5 Likes

Willis used some F head “Hurricane” engines in Jeep[s and Ace sedans until 1952.

The F head was superior to the L head in flow and until comp[ression ratios got p[ast 6.5 or 7 to one, it was sup[erior to the OHV because the valve sizes could be so much bigger.

2 Likes

Good to know! More info here:

Me too although the Robin’s egg blue would have to go eventually if I kept it. I like the body style and would probably start making changes- it’s a disease :grinning:

Look how it might look in black-

2 Likes

Here’s what one guy did to a base model Lark (the Challenger):
This ‘plain brown’ Studebaker is no mere grocery getter (classiccars.com)
Put in the top-line Avanti engine:

1 Like

Rare, but Larks could be ordered with the R3 engine.

1 Like

As long as it’s just surface rust, you can park it anywhere and drive it without needing to worry about the finish. As long as it starts, stops, and turns that’s all I’d really expect out of an entry level classic.

My bil pulled a 62 fairlane out of a field in Arizona. It had that patina. I asked him what he was going to do and he said leave the patina. Next time I saw it, it had a new coral and white paint job. Just couldn’t stand leaving the patina. Exactly what I would have done.

I’m not so keen on the rusted surface look either, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so no complaints from me for those who like that look. Many public art pieces, even buildings, are designed by the artist to improve their appearance by rusting.

There is a high copper alloy designed specifically to do that. The IBM building in North Bethesda, MD, built in the 1960s, with an exterior made from panels of that alloy.

Bought a new 55 Cheve with the new V8. Car had lots of engine, front end, and body problems. Dealer was unable to fix some of the engine problems, so traded it in on a new 57 Cheve with the old “reliable” 6. Car had the same front end and body problems. Spark plugs and points lasted 1000 to 1500 miles. Dealer suggested a dual point distributor. Didn’t make any difference. One day it would start but die when letting go of the key. Found that a resistor in series with the coil had opened. Traded it in on a new 59 Fiat 1200 sedan. Boring car. Nothing ever seemed to go wrong with it.

You must have had a run of bad luck. As I recall the only problem with the first run of the 265 V8 was cylinder bores were too smooth, oil ring allowed oil into combustion chamber leading to high oil consumption. Dealers were advised to dribble BonAmi through the carb to help oil ring to seat properly. Google had various links to this, but no documentation from Chevrolet.
The six cylinder in your 57 was introduced in 1929 and had been refined over the years, a new six was introduced in 1962. The Stovebolt was a stout engine.