Are manual transmissions cheaper to replace than automatics once they break?

I am in the market for a new to me car and want to make the most prudent choice possible (like most folks). I actually really like driving a standard and have always been under the impression that one of the most expensive things to fix on a car was a transmission, and that with a standard would cost less in this respect. I was recently told by a friend with questionable actual knowledge that this is untrue. Is it?

You shouldn’t compare the price of an automatic transmission to the price of a manual transmission. On a car with a manual transmission, as long as you change the transmission oil on a regular schedule, you are more likely to replace the clutch than the transmission.

In my view, manual transmissions are cheaper to maintain and less likely to fail than an automatic transmission, and probably cheaper to repair and replace as well. However, if you don’t treat your clutch well, you could easily spend more on clutch replacements than you would keeping your automatic transmission in good shape.

Get Consumer Reports New Car buyers guide at the local bookstore and buy a make that doesn’t have a history of bad trannys. Any tranny without a design or manufacturing defect will last the life of the vehicle if properly maintained and not abused.

I’m in agreement with all the above, but with one added piece, should the transmission ever fail, you will be far more likely to find a suitable replacement for a manual in an auto recycling yard than an automatic.

A manual transmission is (generally) much cheaper to repair than an automatic and the best part is that unless abused in some way, most manuals will outlive the car.

And a hand crank (like the model T Ford) will last a lot longer than an eledtric starter.

To eliminate most of the problem with an automatic just have the fluid changed every 30k miles or so. I choose to drive automatics after growing up with manuals, and have not had a problem.

If you can find a stick shift, buy it…They are becoming rare and hard to find…Like OK said, they seldom cause problems. But at some point, you will have to replace the clutch…On many FWD and AWD cars, this can be expensive…Not as expensive as automatic transmission failure in this group of cars…In many cases, transmission failure totals the car, the cost to repair exceeds the value of the car…

I would not use criteria of if it breaks as what you should buy.

That being said I am $850 poorer with a Subaru manual transmission repair due to a known issue of a throw out bearing failure. At least I have a new clutch.

Given your question, I would take a manual transmission hands down. As much as certain auto trans models might be less problematic and and auto should last a really long time with proper care, there is just way more that can go wrong - and usually does at some point. That’s related to the reasons that they are easier / cheaper to fix.

Clutch replacement is an issue, but I’d always prefer a manual. If I could get a contemporary minivan with a manual I’d do it in a heartbeat. As it is I’m stuck with the automatics on those.

While not addressing your question (which has been well-answered), I’d suggest that you get a car with the transmission you enjoy driving with, and then take good care of it. Either type should last a long time with proper care and reasonable driving. Plan for clutch replacement if you get a manual, and for fluid replacements for either. Enjoy driving it, take good care of it, and don’t worry too much about what could go wrong.

A manual transmission system failure is usually gradual and won’t leave you stranded. Automatics just go out. At least that has been my experience.

On a positive note for automatics; because of my wife most of our recent cars have been automatic. I baby them with frequent OEM ATF change and so far no failures-knock on wood. And a few of these are cars that are known for transmission failures, so at least I can attest that proper maintenance helps.

We had a 92 Toyota Corolla with a 3 spd auto. It got its transmission fluid changed every 30,000 miles. Regular maintenance did not keep the transmission from puking on the freeway with less than 110,000 miles, costing more than what the car was worth. How an automatic transmission from a reputable auto manufacturer with regular maintenance can have such short service life is beyond my understanding.

Right now, I have a Scion xB with 150,000 miles on its original clutch and transmission that I need to get rid of. I’d keep it if I can drive it to China from the Unemployment States.

wxf048 wrote:
While not addressing your question (which has been well-answered), I’d suggest that you get a car with the transmission you enjoy driving with, and then take good care of it. Either type should last a long time with proper care and reasonable driving.

This is exactly what I was going to say.

There are some cars, like the 6th generation Honda Civic, that are known for having weak automatic transmissions. On one of those cars, those people who got manual transmissions and know how to properly use a clutch are laughing all the way to the bank.

As far as EllyEllis’ response, I dispute the claim that ANYTHING on the Model T Ford could be considered long-lasting by today’s standards, not even the hand crank starter. If you owned a Model T Ford, and didn’t carry spare parts for your trips, your best option might be, at some point, to simply abandon the vehicle on the side of the road and walk the rest of your trip. Did any part of a Model T Ford ever make it to the 100,000 mile mark without being rebuilt at least four times?

chunky, Toyota also had a rash of early failures of 5-speed trans in the 2003-2005 Corolla/Matrix.
Weak bearings.

“Any tranny without a design or manufacturing defect will last the life of the vehicle if properly maintained and not abused.”

That’s (strictly speaking) probably true of most ATs: they “last the life of the vehicle” because, when they break, the “life of the vehicle” is over, almost by definition.

Put me down as a big MT fan: when a MT needs work, it’s less likely to total the vehicle. An AT automobile has two expensive parts that likely will tot al the vehicle when they go; a MT, just one (usually).

." Did any part of a Model T Ford ever make it to the 100,000 mile mark without being rebuilt at least four times?"

I think the crank did. MY brother-in-law had several old tractors with hand cranks. I don’t think he ever replaced one of them.

I am sure the steering wheel didn’t need to be rebuilt either, but the parts that have moving parts within them, like a transmission, are something different, aren’t they?

Are you really comparing a bent piece of metal to a transmission? What’s next, comparing a hammer to the space shuttle?

Yeah, but when a part on a Model T broke, you could fix it yourself easily and quickly. :slight_smile: