A/C Recharge with R12

Many people still have cans on their shelf. I have a couple of boxes that I sell for $25-$40 per can on craigslist. Check your local craigslist ads.

I thought that they used propane. Either way butane is R600 and propane is R290 and they are both amazing and natural refrigerants.

I thought I read something recently about 134a now being replaced with something else.

I had my MR2 converted. The AC blows very cold.

You are correct. It is in early stages of being phased out. I think all new cars by 2020 will be using a different refrigerant. Some auto makers already made the switch.

R-12 freon can be purchased on E-bay

Please donā€™t be offended . . .

There is no way on earth, that I would buy a car where you converted the ac system to operate on butane or propane

:grimacing:

Why not? Such a vehicle would be spectacular at the Demolition Derby!:smiling_imp:

1 Like

I believe it is a criminal offense to do so. When the switch was made to R134 I was in Texas and learned there were several shady outfits selling propane kits to replace leaked R12. I was told to avoid those at all cost.

Switching over to R12434yf. About a hundred bucks a pound. Just had a 2016 Jeep and a 2016 Challenger both involved in crashes and had to have A/C done over destroyed condensers.

I have a 1982 Ford Granada that was retrofitted. Since the carā€™s AC was not originally designed for R134A, the air it blew was only marginally cool. It works, but it doesnā€™t blow the cold, crisp air like it did.

Did you read my earlier post . . . ?

Did you have it correctly converted . . . only 80% of the charge, correct pop-off valve, etc.

BTW . . . was the reason you had it converted because of a leaking component?