99 Infiniti I30

For my 99 Infiniti I30 Limited with 160k miles, which I love, needs to get new knock sensor, EGR valve, and valve cover gaskets. Also am not sure if the time timing belt was ever changed. My question is whether it’s worth it to do all of this work, or whether it’s time to get a new car. The car is pristine, runs perfectly, and looks brand new. If I should repair it, please let me know how much I should be willing to pay for it. Thank you all so much for your help.

If the car is pristine, runs perfectly and looks brand new, it is worth keeping and repairing. Call around for estimates. Even a $2000 repair bill only makes a few months’ payments.

For the timing belt, get the tensioners and water pump replaced at the same time. Could be $700-$1000 depending on where you live. No idea on the other items. Call and get some estimates from a couple of recommended mechanics, or see mechanics files on the Car Talk home page for some recommendations.

Your Infinity doesn’t have a timing belt. It has a timing chain, which does not require periodic replacement.

The other stuff is minor maintenance. Fix the few things that need attention and continue driving your car. The cost of maintenance is much lower than the cost of replacement. Save your money.

Thanks. The dealer told me it (timing “belt”) needed to be replaced at 100k miles

That’s really bad. The dealer is lying to you, trying to sell you something expensive you don’t need.

I just checked Gates (maker of timing belts) again, under both “Infinity I30” and “Nissan Maxima” (same engine and drive train), and neither has a timing belt. It’s one of the nice things about the 3.0 liter V6 Nissan (Infinity) engine.

Get away from the dealer. Find an independent mechanic. Learn the truth. Save some money.

Check your owner’s manual. See if there’s any mention of a timing belt, or a recommended replacement interval. I doubt you’ll find anything.

The gates site is confusing, it doesn’t list a timing belt for the car, but it lists a 60000 change interval.