'99 Chevy Tracker Loses Power While Driving

Hello everyone,

I’ve been having a really frustrating problem with my 1999 Chevy Tracker. The night before Thanksgiving, the lights started to dim, then a few lights came on the dash (ABS, battery, then air bag), then the radio went dead, and finally the car lost power and stalled out at an intersection. About 15 minutes later, it started again and I drove it for about a mile before it crapped out again.

I had it towed to a service station; they couldn’t find anything wrong with it. I took it to my regular mechanic; he couldn’t find anything wrong with it either and told me not to worry about it.

I drove it for a couple of weeks with no major problems, though the power seemed to fluctuate while I drove it. Then last night, the same thing happened where it lost power, stalled, then started again… And again, my mechanic tells me he can’t find anything wrong! I’m very frustrated, can anyone help?

Have your mechanic install a new positive battery cable assembly to see if that gets rid of the problem. If that doesn’t fix it, you may have to leave it with your mechanic so they can drive it to expierience what’s actually going on.

Tester

I have a '98 4 door. I just had a very similar issue, no power, missing. The trouble lights acted up, check engine light came on , ABS lights would flash. It stalled a few times. Turned out to be bad plug wires. They were arching and causing shorts. Every issue cleared up once the new plug wires were installed.