?94 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Intermittent Starting Problems and Low Idle RPM

I have a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4X4 4.0L 6cylinder with 125k miles. First, my Jeep idles at around 200rpm (the first line on the tach.), is this normal? I have had the Jeep for almost 2 years and it has always done this. It has not been a problem in the past except when it got below zero. Then at stoplights my Jeep would sometimes stall and I would just have to restart the engine.

This was not a big issue until a few months ago when my Jeep started with intermittent starting troubles. I can get my Jeep to start on the first crank the first time I drive the Jeep that day or if the Jeep has been sitting for at least 4 hours. For all subsequent starts that day I have to crank the Jeep from 5 to 30+ cranks before the engine will turn over and start.

To begin with I had the starter replaced when I got the Jeep 2 years ago. At first I thought that it might have been a problem with the fuel system since the engine does crank and ultimately turns over. So I replaced the fuel filter and then the fuel pump with no change in condition. I also had the spark plugs and the distributer cap replaced again with no change in condition.

I am not sure what to do next. I am tired of sitting in parking lots with people looking at me while I crank the engine over and over before my Jeep starts. Any ideas on what to do next would be greatly appreciated.

When the problem occurs, have a helper crank it, while you visually check for spark at the plugs. You can carry a known good spark plug or spark tester in the glove box, it won’t get hot. You pull plug wire loose, stick tester in boot, ground metal part of tester to metal part of engine, engine cranking watch for spark. If you have spark everywhere, use a gage and check fuel pressure. Any applicable codes?