2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited rattles

My 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited make a rattling noise when accelerating. Only does it sometimes. Sounds like something is loose under vehicle. Does not make noise when in park and revving enginge. Checked under Jeep and found nothing loose. Any ideas?

The first place I would check is a loose heat shield on the catalytic converter. Also, check the rest of the exhaust system for a loose or broken clamp.

I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and just a couple of weeks ago I started hearing a rattle. The heat shield hidden above the muffler was corroded through on two of its four attachment points. I used oversize washers to secure it back into place.

Hard to diagnose rattles on the internet … lol … but I’ll add a rattle diagnosis of my own, might be helpful. My Corolla was making a rattling sound, it sounded like it was coming from the engine compartment. But only when the car was moving. One day I was driving w/a passenger in the right front seat, and asked her where she thought the rattling noise was coming from? She listened carefully, turning her head this way and that, you know, like how a dog figures out which direction a sound is coming from, then she pulled out the ashtray, and the rattling noise stopped.

What I’m saying is that maybe you need a 2nd opinion from the passenger seat, to narrow down where the sound is coming from.

x2 on for George. I just fixed a rattle on my 09 JKU, it was a broken weld on the heat shield over the exhaust where it crosses over near the transfer case. Wedged nickels covered in JB weld in both of the broken welds, didn’t hear a thing this morning.