2006 Jeep Liberty Key Stuck in Ignition

Hey guys,
I have a 2006 Jeep Liberty Sport. The key is stuck in the ignition. It will still start, but when I go to turn, it’s like the key doesn’t want to release those last few steps. Which is as safety issue because my car is sitting ready to be stolen. When I called the dealer they wanted to charge me $105 just to figure out what is going on with it plus labor and parts to fix it. This is a known issue with the '06 Jeeps and Chrysler is not wanting to do anything about it. At this point, I just need the key out of the ignition. The dealer said they would have to pull the ignition system apart to get the key out which would cause the car not run at all. We tried tapping the key to get it to release and it hasn’t done it yet. It did this once before and we where able to jiggle the key and it released but it is not working now. I need any help you guys can give.
Again it is a 2006 Jeep Liberty v6 3.7 Liter Engine it is now sitting at about 78000 miles happened the first time at about 50-55000 miles.

Thanks Guys,
Josh

The ignition lock is connected to the gear shift lever assembly though an interlock cable. Be sure the shift lever is fully in the park position and button on the shift lever pops out when in park.

1 Like

The button is popped out on the shift level and the car is in park. Key is still stuck. Any other ideas. Does the cable need to be replaced? or could it be a different problem all together?

Remove the steering column shroud and knee blocker cover. You should then be able to disconnect the interlock cable and turn the ignition to the lock position. Test to see if the cable reacts properly when the shift lever is moved. You may need to remove the center console to inspect the gear shift mechanism.

Or you may reconsider paying a shop to fix this.

It’s been happening to me a couple times last week. And just now, I’ve been sitting here for 10mins looking up how to get it out and all I had to do was make sure the shift lever was popped out while in park lol. Many thanks!! :slight_smile: