2003 Toyota Avalon smoking and misfire on cylinder 2

If it smokes for 15-20 seconds during a cold start the valve seals are worn. If it is smoking all the time remove the front valve cover and have a look, you’ll find sludge, I’ve seen this a dozen times before (Toyota 3.0L).

Thanks guys. I’ve been reading a lot that the Toyota 3.0 has had engine sludge problems. But I think it’s gotta be the rings(I hope it isn’t)… Because as soon as I unhook the PCV there is no smoke whatsoever, on start-up or when driving. So I don’t think it’s the valve seals because it has sat all night with the PCV unhooked and didn’t burn any oil at all the next morning.

Is there anything other than bad seals that could be causing enough blow-by to shoot oil out of the PCV?

Maybe you could get by, by rigging up a “catch can.” Google “oil catch can” and you’ll see what I mean. There are a lot of products marketed for this, but you could probably save some money and make your own out of a coffee can or similar if you’re handy.

Ok. Thanks Oblivion. I was looking up some info on those earlier. I think I may try it.

Valve seals will have nothing to do with blowby; that’s a piston ring caused problem.

If the is oil shooting out of the PCV valve the oil in not draining from the head. I don’t think a catch can is the answer.

Hey Nevada, I would put the catch can in the vacuum hose between the PCV and the intake. I think it would stop a lot of the oil from sucking in the intake and burning which is causing the smoke… But that’s just a band aid fix. I need the mechanic to look at it and see where the extra blow by is coming from.

Oh hey OK4450 I meant to say rings in the post earlier… Not seals. Is there anything other than the piston rings that could cause the blow-by?