2000 Honda Odyssey TCS light and transmission problems in cold weather

For a few years now, in cold weather, when starting my 2000 Honda Odyssey the TCS light will stay on and the transmission will not shift out of low gears. I can drive in reverse just fine, but when I try shifting to drive, the “D” drive indicator does not light up and it will only drive in what seems to be first gear. However, when sufficiently warmed up, I can restart the engine, the TCS light goes out, and everything’s normal. The warm up time varies from 5 to 10 mins or more, and is unpredictably annoying. I went to a dealer last year and they didn’t seem to have a clue. There must be someone else with the same problem. Is it just a matter of a bad sensor? Let me know if you have a solution. Thanks.

When was the last time the transmission fluid and filter was changed?

Not sure, but I have regular maintenance done. I’ll check that out, thanks.

It is probably a temp sensor. I will have an ATRA approved shop[ read the codes and decide.

It would help to get the codes and post them here.

transman

My next step is to try and get the codes read. Thanks to you all.

Results: It was coming up code P1607, and I found another person online with a similar problem and code. They had to switch out their PCM. Same diagnosis for me, and a new one would’ve cost about $1100, plus there was also another (unrelated) big problem with the motor mounts ($800) worth. Probably needed a brake job too, so rather than pour all that money into it I traded it in :).