2000 Buick Century ABS/Trac Off/Service Vehicle Soon lights

My 2000 Buick Century has an issue that whenever it rains really hard, after driving a while the ABS, Trac Off, and Service Vehicle Soon lights come on. I am assuming that part of the electrical connections are getting wet and causing the lights to come on. When there is no rain, obviously the lights don’t come on. It’s only done it one other time and it did it today. I was just curious if anyone else had experienced this problem and what they had to do to fix it, before I jump into looking at all electrical connections which we all know can be hard to diagnose. By the way, the car has 64,000 miles on it if that makes any difference. Thanks.

There are wheel speed sensors built into the hub beearings on all four corners of your car. There is a wire coming from that bearing housing that’s connected to the wiring harness of the car. The computer uses this information to determine what needs to be done, if anything regarding antilock brakes and traction control, and also uses this information to determine if you have a low tire by comparing the rpm of each wheel to the others. When one gets past a certain ratio, it’ll trigger the low tire light.

Each of these connectors has a seal built into it that keeps out moisture. If one of those seals gets damaged or deteriorates, and water gets into that connector, the computer will disengage the trac control and anti-lock brake system for lack of information.

So check those connectors first. Then check the associated wiring for any damaged insulation.

I have a 2001 Regal and have dealt with this. It’s my guess that’s where your problem is.

Great. Thank you. I will definitely check those out.