1999 olds alero transmission problems

I JUST CHANGED THE TRANS. OIL & FILTER AND BELIEVE I DID THE FLUID LEVEL CHECK CORRECTLY? I CHECKED THE FLUID LEVEL WHILE ENGINE WAS AT NORMAL OPERATION TEMP., IN PARK AND RUNNING. I CALLED AUTOZONE AND THEY TOLD ME TO CHECK IT WHILE IT WAS IN DRIVE (DIDN"T THINK THIS WAS SAFE? AFTER ALL THIS, THE TRANSMISSION IS MAKING A GROWLING/WINDING NOISE WHILE IN PARK. THE PICK UP IS TERRIBLE, ESPECIALLY AFTER STOPPING. THE SERVICE ENGINE LIGHT IS ON ALSO. I TOOK TO AUTOZONE AND IT CODED AS A MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR? WOULD THIS CAUSE THE ISSUES I AM HAVING?

what makes you think the problem is in the transmission? why did you change the fluid? if you used oil in the tranny, and drove it, you’ve probably ruined it. it takes a specific TRANSMISSION FLUID, probably Dextron/Mercon III. read your dipstick, which probably tells you how to check it too. nice thing is, if it’s a four cylinder, there are hundreds of ttransmissions at salvage yards. the trannys almost always out lasted the 4-cyl engines.

checking the fluid level in park is the standard procedure. what was the level of fluid? Don’t believe everything the kids at Autozone tell you. If it’s not in their computer, they don’t know about it.

PLEASE don’t use ALL CAPS. It is difficult to read and it is considered shouting.

When AutoZone looked at the code, they should have had a code in the format of “P1234”. See if you can determine what it was and post it back here.

Was that really a “Service Engine Soon” light or a Check Engine Light (CEL)? The description, as far as I can tell, is a CEL and it is reporting a possible problem with the MAF.

Do you have the owner’s manual? If not see if you can find one on the internet. Follow the instructions there for minimum maintenance and the proper method of checking your transmission fluid as well as the type of fluid you need. I generally recommend changing (not flushing) automatic transmission nor less often than 30 - 40,000 miles.

HOW DID YOU CHECK THE TRANS FLUID LEVEL? DO THE 4 CYLS HAVE DIPSTICKS FOR THE TRANNYS WHICH THE 6 CYLS DO NOT? ALSO, USUALLY THE TRANS FLUID IN THE ALEROS DOES NOT REQUIRE CHANGING UNTIL THERE IS A PROB WITH THE TRANS. YOU MIGHT HAVE TO SEE THE DEALER TO REMEDY THIS ONE, ALTHOUGH A BAD DOWNSTREAM O2 SENSOR CAN CAUSE THE TRANS TO PERFORM BADLY.

galaxybeing, this thread is nearly 5 mos old. The last one you replied to was from last FEBRUARY! Haphazardly opening old dead threads is not going to do these boards any good.

WELL AWARE OF THE TIME FRAME. WE NEW YORKERS ARE GOOD AT DETAILS. YOU’D BE AMAZED. CIGGY, TRY CONTRIBUTING SOMETHING - ANYTHING - WORTHWHILE.

CAPS LOCK, GALAXY, CAPS LOCK…Just press it one time…