New York State inspections..I failed!

You can always check the parts stores for strut prices and exhaust sytems. Calling three different parts stores under different ‘flags’ like NAPA, CarQuest and Krager, just as a for instance, will give you a decent idea on parts prices. Expect any repair shop to mark up the parts costs as they do have to spend time chasing down the parts, usually through their preferred parts place. I would second the suggestion of taking your vehicle in to an exhaust systems shop, but be wary of the large chains. Local independent shops are generally just as good, sometimes better, as they tend to keep their help longer than the large chains and tend to be more concientious about keeping customers happy. They also like to keep their reputations as quality work at fair prices. Return business is always an issue with repair shops–especially the independents. I would not do anything until you have taken it in for at least one other inspection. Maybe two inspections at different places? Then hook up with good independent shops to do the work. Before you authorize any work, get a written, signed estimate. That way you can also check prices for the totals. But rarely contract based just on the lowest price. Be vigilant and you’ll most likely get quality work at a reasonable price.