High Mileage Oil Change

A technician at a local Goodyear store just told me that they would not take my car for a high mileage oil change unless I’d had the oil changed there before. He explained that because the oil they used would be a different brand from what had previously been used (Kendall vs. Pennzoil), the engine could develop oil leaks when using the new oil. Anybody know if this is true? Sounds bogus to me.

Sounds like someone putting his mouth in gear before fully engaging the brain. I take it that you want to use oil for high mileage cars, rather than extended drain interval oil. High mileage oils have some additional sealers and additives to help control oil consumption and leaks. It does nothing for the engine life itself. Most regulars on this website will tell you it is a waste of money to pay the extra for high mileage oil. However all oils have to be compatible to meet the various ASTM and API standards. So, in my opinion, go with whatever you feel good about, but do not try to extend the drain interval. Those oils have nothing in them that would allow you to do that.

The car is a '98 Olds Intrigue with 98,000 miles. Since about 75,000 miles I’ve spent extra money to have oil changes that were represented as better for cars with higher mileage. Based on your answer, though, I’m guessing that maybe I needn’t have spent that money. More importantly, it sounds like changing brands of motor oil now isn’t going to harm the engine or cause engine leaks. Right?

Docnick has it right. You’d be wasting your money using any type of special oil for your Olds. 98,000 miles is not high mileage, not at all. You may go back to using any regular motor oil, any brand, just as you did when the car was newer. Check back with us at the 200,000-mile mark.

That’s booooogus! All motor oils must meet the API and SAE specifications. This means one brand of motor oil has the same amount of additives as another if they both meet these specs.

Also, the military purchases large volumes of motor oil from different manufacturers. What major oil company would make their oil in such a way where it couldn’t be used with a different motor oils? The military would’t buy it.

Tester

The most important specification in motor oil is the “weight”,or grade, because outside temperatures will vary seasonally. Typically, you want an oil such as 5W30 for winter use and 10W30 for summer use where temperatures get very high. Your manual may say use 5W30 all year round. I would agree with that if you live in Seattle or some other pace with moderate temperatures all year. Your Olds at 98,000 miles is still a “spring chicken” and if you have changed the oil regularly, there should be very little engine wear. My wife’s Nissan has 115,000 miles on it and does not consume oil, and has its original compression readings.

Thanks to all of you for your responses to my post. You’ve helped make this part of maintaining my car alot clearer!

Go where they don’t use Pennzoil or Quaker State. Sludge or wax seems to happen with them.

Old school wife’s tales that are carried on. I believe one year maybe back in the 60’s it was true.

I agree with the others, you don’t need any “high mileage” oil at 100K miles, just use good quality oil of the correct weight and rating for you car with the recommended oil change interval. Personally, I stay away from chain places like “goodyear,” except for tires. You are usually better off with a good independent mechanic who knows you and your car.