20W50 motor oil

I have an old 91 corolla that burns oil. A friend suggested I switch to 20W50 oil. Will this help in terms of oil burn, engine wear, or gas mileage? How is this oil different from whatever Jiffy Lube usually gives me.

Did JiffyLube indicate what viscosity of oil they used for your last oil change?

i believe it is 10w30. at least that is what i use, when i have to add oil between changes.

This may help a bit with the oil burning. It’s certainly worth a try. For a '91, go with anything that will keep the beast alive another year. You need worry no longer about engine wear. Gas mileage should theoretically go down, but probably not enough to even measure.

Is the oil burning a problem? I know it’s not environmentally friendly. Is that your reason? The 20W50 motor is worse for engine wear. The valve stem seals are probably leaking oil into the cylinders and being burned. You could replace the valve stem seals.

“How is this oil different from whatever Jiffy Lube usually gives me.”

It is considerably thicker.

If you want thicker oil and the temperature only dips below 30 degrees F for a few hours a night in the winter, you should consider thicker oil. 20W50 isn’t it. You can use it, but use only three quarts and use straight 30 weight for the other two quarts and you might get less oil consumption. You will notice the difference with 30 weight right away. It won’t pour out like water as does the 10W30. It isn’t treated to just act thicker under certain conditions; it is thicker. See if Jiffy lube has straight 30. They would probably want to sell you some additive at a good markup. Find some other place that will give you the oil you want if Jiffy Lube won’t.

On the freak chance it could be something simple, you might check the PCV valve and make sure it’s not plugged up. This could promote oil burning.

Heavier oil such as 20/50 could help but if you live in a northern climate or the mountains where the temp drops into the freezing range or lower on a regular basis you should not use it.
20/50 oil on a 20 degree day has the consistency of tar.

Yea using heavier oil is a good idea. You might want to follow pleasdodgvan’s suggestion, it has some merit.

However like pleasedodgevan I have the suggestion that you loose the quick lube places like the one you have been using. Keep away from the quick change places. We hear far too many horror stories about them. Some may be fine, but many pay the help little, demand fast changes and that results in a high percentage of errors. Too many live by selling you something you don’t need at inflated prices.

Find a good local mechanic and stick with them for your needs.

Don't go to the quick lube places, even for directions.

To avoid the cold weather starting issues with 20w50, you could try a dyno 10w50. It’s typically less desirable because of the large number of additives it needs to get the wide 10-50 spread, but for an old 91 oil burner, it may be just the ticket.

you could try a dyno 10w50.

Who makes a 10w50?? Never seen it. I’ve seen 5w50 - synthetic by Castrol…but NEVER seen anything near that range as a dyno oil.

I’ve been using 20w50 in my high mileage accord (440,000) for the last few years. I live in Pennsylvania and it gets cold here in the winter. I started to use it when I felt that I had a lot of miles on it . . somewhere around 250,000 miles. I never burned oil, but it does drip a bit now . . about 1/4 quart every oil change (3000). The theory that it will stop the oil burning is easily tested. Change your oil to 20w50 and drive 1000 miles. Watch for blue smoke and check for oil use in the 1000 miles. Then change back to the original weight. Do the same and check for use and smoke. Drive both tests nornmally then evaluste the results. I’ll betcha the heavier weight won’t be all that different than the normal weight. Worn-out engines (rings and the like) usually can’t be fixed by such temporary measures. The test will cost you only two oil changes and will help you to evaluate your corolla. A compression test will help. Good luck Rocketman

Who makes a 10w50??

You’re right. There are 10w-50 and 15w-50 oils, but all that I can find now are synthetic.

I recall working in a garage years ago where they stocked some 15w-50 dyno oil. Sure looks like it’s not available now.

Thanks for spotting my error.

Joe