Best used car for about 7 to 8 thousand dollars?

If you define “dependable” as being freedom from repairs, given that the maintenance schedule is followed, here is problem. Many Hondas and Toyotas require a timing belt change at about 60,000 miles. This is considered maintenance, but this maintenance runs about $400. The Ford Taurus and Chevrolet Impala do not require this maintenance. I’ve also found that parts such as alternators are less expensive for the Fords and Chevrolets than for the Toyotas and Hondas. One of my vehicles is a 2003 Toyota 4Runner. It has a very good reliablility record. I had quite a problem when we first got the car–the serpentine belt made a terrible squeaking noise. The dealer replaced the belt three times and the problem would always reoccur. In one belt replacement, the belt wasn’t put on correctly and it pulled out the crankcase oil seal. After suggesting the dealer buy it back under the lemon law, the dealer replaced the tensioner and after 50,000 miles, the 4Runner hasn’t had a repair. My other vehicle is a 2006 Chevrolet Uplander. According to Consumer Reports, this vehicle has a terrible repair record. In 32,000 miles, the biggest repair, covered under warranty, was for the fuel gauge sending unit. The Honda and Toyota minivans have a better repair record, but for the $10,000 difference, I decided to by the Uplander. Both vehicles, the 4Runner and the Uplander, have been dependable for me.

As you look at cars in the 2002 or 2003 model year, the Ford Taurus, Chevrolet Impala, Buick Century or Regal may be good choices as a compromise between freedom of repair and cost of upkeep.