Tires = Mop?

I'd just like to point out that buying tires as a gift is definitely not the same as buying a vacuum cleaner or some other household appliances (which implies that you assume she's going to do most or all of the vacuuming/cleaning/cooking...something like a vacuum cleaner should never really be a "gift," since it something that both partners should be using equally in a household).

I’m mostly with Hattie Mae on this - tires for Patty’s safety are not remotely equivalent to a gift that implies that domestic chores are entirely her responsibility.

I certainly agree that a more personal item might be better, but perhaps the BF is also intending to give Patty something romantic as well. We don’t know, and neither did Patty when this call was recorded (probably many years ago), yet she’s already dissatisfied. Good grief!

I can imagine - without knowing the truth of course - that the BF is genuinely concerned about her safety. Maybe Patty is on a tight budget and is trying to hold off on buying tires even though she knows she needs them, and he’s taking a risk and showing that her safety is his top priority, fully aware that his gift is not sweet and romantic. Instead, he’s hoping she’ll get the message about his priorities, and his practical tendencies. Or maybe she doesn’t think her worn out tires are a big deal, and he disagrees and is willing to put his money where his mouth is. Either way, I think what Mr. Right is doing is admirable. Or maybe it’s a lazy cop out because he doesn’t know how to buy gifts for his GF. I’d guess it’s some of each.

Bottom line for me is that I think it’s a shame when we are not satisfied by gifts we’ve received. It’s a gift. Be a good receiver.