2012 Subaru Impreza Oil Usage - Is it a generic design flaw

Exactly how hard do you drive the car?
And how many miles are actually on the car currently?
Has it had its first oil change as of yet?

Some cars burn oil for various reasons.
New cars that do not have rotary engines in them, honestly, shouldn’t be consuming oil at the rate you are saying yours is, unless you drive it really hard.

One thing to remember is that when oil gets really hot, it can turn into an oil mist, and get consumed by the PCV system by being burned in the engine. The cheaper the quality of oil, the more likely this is going to happen.

Unfortunately, we can’t see your car, and run tests on it ourselves, so we can’t tell you where your oil is going.

I know if it was my engine, I would pull the spark plugs to see if one of them had excessive deposits on it, and if one did, I would bring that up to my dealer’s service manager. Could be a leaking valve seal, or bad oil control rings around that piston.

At the very least, change the oil to the best full synthetic 0W-20 you can buy, and see how that affects the oil burn rate. Also, if you do a lot of full throttle, and high speed driving, back off the accelerator, and see if that reduces it for 1k miles.

BC.