Mechanics - replacing head gasket vs the engine...?

Jesmed: Yeah, I learned my lesson, I also didn’t listen to my gut, plus I was sort of on a time crunch, I had to get a car, so I sort of was forced to pull the trigger and hope that it worked out. Things felt a little off, but it was late when the guy called me back, it was dark when I went over there, but he seemed honest enough, and maybe he was. I know better now.

Barkydog: Unfortunately, buyer beware, and as it has been a few weeks, I doubt I could do anything about it.

gsragtop: Yeah, I’ve noticed they are not that expensive online, but I’ve also read that often they do not fit properly and have seal issues.

GeorgeSanJose: Yeah, it’s an automatic and it seems like my best choice would be to cut my loses and sell it for what I can get. I do have some time, but not a ton to work on it, or I don’t want to have to spend a ton working on it, to then, have even more issues I have to deal with and more money I have to dump into it.

ok4450: Well, it was also about a gallon low on coolant, probably another reason why my mechanic was against doing the repair. Thanks for pointing that out.

Thanks for the advice and input everyone, I guess I will just cut my loses and get what I can for the car and look for something used and make sure I take it to my mechanic first. With that being said, any suggestions for used cars? I’ve come across a bit in my research online and it suggests a few things.

1. Despite the notorious reputation for how reliable used Hondas and Toyotas are, they are also usually sold with lots of miles for rather high prices in respect to their american counter parts.

2. American cars generally get a bad rap for being unreliable, which means you can usually find them for less, or with many less miles on them, and they are relatively easy to work on and cheap to fix.

3. I’ve heard that the crown victoria, interceptor model, if used by a highway patrol department, can be a very good, solid and reliable buy used?