Toyota celica engine blew

I found a rebuilt 2001 2ZZ-GE engine, a good fit to my 2000 GTS.

Can anyone answer this question??: My (130k) engine blew last week because of no oil, yet there were about 2qts in the crankcase (adding one qt brought it up to the min line on the stick), and the oil light did not go on. The oil was last checked two months prior at an oil change. Three years of history showed no oil loss. Hearsay on this engine is that there are “oil issues”, some say this is only with the 2000, 2001 GT, not with the GTS, fixed by a recall for lift bolts on the GT.

So, here is the question: why no oil pressure light warning for me?! can this light have a malfunction mode even though it comes on with ignition? does it not measure oil pressure? is it measuring oil level instead? wouldn’t 2qts in the crankcase mean that something else had to fail like the oil pump or an oil passage blockage? Can I add something like a real oil pressure light or gauge to prevent this from happening again?

Can anyone add answers or their experience so that I know how to best work with my new engine? Thanks everyone :slight_smile: