Dan's Theory of Cars and Matrimony

I don’t see much of a connection in my life application. I tend to acquire vehicles as cheaply as possible (usually mechanical repairables, sometimes collision repairables) and keep them until they rot apart. My marriage ended at the two and a half year mark due to adultery on her part. I currently have two vehicles I consider to be quite nice, comfortable, and very easy to live with on a daily basis: a 1995 Ford Windstar minivan and a 1998 Ford F-150 extended cab. Total purchase price for both vehicles combined was $1400, naturally bought with cash. My ex wife drives a luxury SUV with a high monthly payment and very pricey insurance premiums. The child support she gets from me barely covers her car payment and insurance premiums, and she always used to complain about how poor we were. I think it’s a matter of priorities and being happy with what you have. If you are easily pleased with what you drive, it can probably take some financial stress off a marriage by not having to drive something new and luxurious to be happy. On the other hand, some people can only be happy if they have the latest and greatest things, so these traits need to be compatible.