What do you call a person from New Hampshire?

Listening to the show this morning, I heard the guys refer to people from New Hampshire as “New Hampshireites”. As a transplanted Connecticutie who recently retired north (go figure…) I have to take exception to that. Folks around here who take such things seriously will tell you that the proper term is “Granite Stater”. However, those of us who are possessed of the sense of humor that made George Carlin want to have his ashes scattered in Spofford Lake prefer another, more playful moniker. So, please guys, don’t call us New Hampshireites. I’m happy to say that I have joined the ranks of those who live in the shadow of what used to be the Old Man of the Mountain: a proud New Hampster! (Get it right or pay the price, bud!)

I don’t know, but it’s always super to hear from them!

Funny you should ask, originally being from one of the states I have had the same curiousity about. Connecticutions? Connecticats?

Cold!

I’d go for “New Hamper”.

New Hampshirite is a common term, as is the more formal Granite Stater.
I say this as a native New Hampshirite of some 60+ years.

What do people from New Hampshire call people from Massachusetts?
Tourists!

Granite Stater is the equivalent of calling someone from Wisconsin a Cheesehead (come smell our dairy air! or perhaps in homage to your motto, eat cheese or die!). Wisconsin has the same proper suffix as New Hampshire- ite, preferences aside…

Cheap. But so as not to offend, frugal.

financial preferences evaluation accepted. And confirmed.

Yankees.

People from Seattle are Seattleites, things could be worse!

Just think–it could always be worse.
What if you were from Uranus?

;-))

From WIKI, Big Bone Lick State Park is located at Big Bone in Boone County, Kentucky. It is located on Beaver Road and between the communities of Beaverlick and Rabbit Hash. Hands on head.

I’ve been an Angeleno, a Seattleite, a Silver Citizen and now a Phoenician. Never lived in a place where you could just stick “-an” on the end and be done with it.

If I read this list correctly, Tom and Ray are Massachusettsites, but my spellcheck puts gripemarks on that word. (It’s also complaining about “spellcheck”!)

Some of my favorite toponyms (that’s what these terms are called) are “haligonian” (someone from Halifax) , “monegasque” (from Monaco), and “burkinabe” (Burkina Faso).

Places for which I’ve never heard a term that I’m completely happy with are Arkansas (the list says “arkansawyer”) and Utah (either “utahan” or “utahn”, but both pronounced the same).

While in southeastern Oklahoma, I hear Arkansas radio stations. They seem to refer to themselves as Arkansans. My spell checker doesn’t object.

Edit: it’s pronounced as: ar KAN s’ns

I’ve also driven through Tumwater, somewhere in Minnesota, I believe.

I’ve been to Climax, but I can’t remember if it was in North Dakota or Minnesota.

In Tennessee, we have Bucksnort, Frog Jump, Green Frog and I used to work in a place just off Hog Wallow Rd, pronounced Hog Waller Rd.

So you wanna be called a hampster? Why not, Minnesotans are gophers. Where is New Hampshire anyway? Is that in Canada?

Close enough.