Big Wheels & Low Profile Tires - Why

I’ve seen wheel sizes go down and up. My first car, a 1947 Pontiac, had 6.50 X 16 tires. My next car, a 1955 Pontiac had 7.10 x 15 tires. My 1965 Rambler Classic 550 had 6.95 x 14 tires. I thought that the Rambler had a better size than the Ford Falcon which had 13 inch wheels. The 1957 Buick bucked the trend and stayed with 15 inch wheels. The reason was that someone in the design studio thought that the car “looked better” with 15 inch wheels as opposed to 14 inch wheels. I thought I would never see 17" wheel sizes as that on my 1950 Chevrolet 1 ton pickup truck, but my 2011 Toyota Sienna has 17" wheels. Maybe we have hit the peak again and wheel sizes will go down.
I drive a minivan by necessity since I manage a chamber orchestra and am always transporting musicians and their instruments. I thought I would like to have a Mazda Miata, but Mrs. Triedaq thinks that the Miata is a car for wimps. She thinks if I want a sports car that I should find an Austin Healy Sprite. She says that real men don’t mind getting out and pushing their cars out of traffic when they break down.