New Cadillac ATS for 2013

Cadillac announced a new, compact Cadillac aimed directly at the BMW 3 series. Read about it here:

http://www.motortrend.com/auto_shows/detroit/2012/1112_2012_detroit_2013_cadillac_ats_first_look/

The CTS is a tweener; not quite a direct competitor for the 3 series or 5 series. When the ATS comes out, the CTS can grow a little and be more the size of the BMW 5. It sounds like a lot of fun. What do you think?

Lots of hype, but it’ll get the usual GM treatment before it comes out. Which platform is it gonna be on? The Cobalt or the Malibu platform?

It seems like every Cadillac over the past ten years has been aimed at the German competitors. That story is getting a little old by now, if you ask me.

It sounds like the ATS will have rear wheel drive to help it compete with BMW. Might be a fun car with a manual trans at 3300 lbs with the V6.

lion9car, Cadillac must compete with the Germans because they know how to make a car drive the best.

@bscar2 - The ATS will be RWD (so it shares nothing with the Malibu or Cobalt):

“If you love driving, the new Alpha architecture that underpins the Cadillac ATS could well be the single most important investment in hardware GM makes this decade. The lightweight Alpha architecture ensures rear drive cars have a future at GM despite tougher fuel economy targets worldwide. And not just in terms of variations on a baby Cadillac theme.”

I’m anxious to see it. I might consider it as a next car if the price is attractive.