How do I avoid getting rearended?

I don’t know what you do in terms of monitoring the basics on your car such as checking oil & other fluids & the like, but its a must to check out all of your lights frequently as well. Brake lights can have a couple of problems. One is that they can obviously go out. But another is that they can get stuck on from a bad brake light switch. I followed such a vehicle a couple of days ago. Either the brake lights were stuck on or the driver was riding the brakes (for miles & miles at 55mph). Do you brake frequently? Do you often keep a foot resting on the brake pedal? Do you even check your brake lights?

I’d also say that I have avoided being rear-ended many times. I watch everything I can see on the road, both in front of me and behind me. I watch people behind me so that I can judge whether or not it looks like someone isn’t paying attention or is going to fast. I also put out warnings anytime there is an unexpected slow down or stop. E.g. tapping the brakes a couple of times flashes your brake lights at the cars behind you. On interstates whenever I see a significant slow down I will momentarily turn my hazard lights on. (Note that I say “significant” slow down - something that looks like stopped traffic or near to it). I always try to leave myself a lot of room in front of me - so that I can use it to produce some sudden room behind me if someone is coming up too fast. I also always scope an escape route such as the shoulder of the road.

So first I’d say to ask yourself about your own habits. Second I’d say to learn to drive expecting people to hit you. I do, and I frequently avoid getting hit.