Seized Engine with only 79,000 Miles

I am very sorry to hear this…however the sentence that pained me the most was… “the oil light came on. I preceded to drive for approximately 3 miles where the car shut down” I am certain others have asked you this, but my God…WHY…would you do that?!

We are a car community…full of mechanics and DIY’ers who love cars…so… Brace yourself for the answers you will receive here…

When the oil light comes on…it is cause for IMMEDIATE ENGINE SHUTDOWN…No thinking…no finishing your phone call or cup of coffee…IMMEDIATE ENGINE SHUTDOWN…I believe this so strongly that I and the guys on this site have pondered the many ways that we could make this occur… There are several ways to do it actually…

ANYWHO… Jeez. That’s terrible news. SO…what happened? What caused the oil light to come on? IF it was full of oil then it sounds like you have suffered an oil pump failure… YOu DEALER THOUGHT you said “check engine light” most likely…that is the only light that could illuminate after filling with fuel… They were GREATLY mistaken to tell you that it was because of your gas fillup… Are you SURE you didn’t say my ENGINE light is on? No matter…when that oil light comes on its SHUTDOWN TIME…if you restart and it comes on again…ITS SHUTDOWN TIME… That dealer should have their collective heads examined if they told you about filling with gas with your OIL LIGHT illuminated… They either heard or were told about the Check engine light…

That final 3 miles worth of driving killed the engine, thats for certain…but wow…what led to all this? That’s an awful short life for this vehicle. You must have more info than this…

THE REASON your car sounded like the battery was drained…was because you basically MELTED all the friction surfaces together inside your engine…and it is MUCH much more difficult to spin the engine over at that time… After you let it cool down…the starter will not be able to budge the engine at all…It will basically be in ONE giant piece…instead of hundreds of polished surfaces and parts all working together as in a healthy engine.

I am afraid you have no recourse and there’s not much help we can offer except to say you need a new engine…because your oil pump had failed…that didn’t kill it…the 3 miles killed it…basically the only thing left for you to do is to RE-POWER this vehicle with a new engine…I’m sure its in great shape and deserves a new engine… You can buy and have a used engine put in for under 1800 or at least YOU SHOULD be able to… The engine alone will be anywhere from 800-1200 and install round 500… Its worth it to do…and before putting it in…I’d buy an aftermarket Performance Oil Pump and install it first…because there is obviously something up with the factory units… Maybe you will hear more and more oil pump failure stories soon…maybe there was a defect in them? No matter…Oil light=Shutdown…I’m sure you know all about that NOW… Wish you knew earlier…

Sorry to hear about all this, but it was you who actually killed it… Yes the engine had a failure…but it was more than saveable…Until those fateful 3 miles… Yikes… My sympathies…

Checked ebay…there are several engines avail…all under 1500 some under 1000…That’s your way out…

Blackbird