Why do People insist on buying big SUV's or Pickup's and don't have a clue how to drive them?

When I lived in Germany, there were a lot of accidents involving Americans. It’s not that the Americans can’t drive, it’s that they were trying to drive like a German. Someone who grew up at 100MPH+ is happy there, whereas we mostly grew up at 55-70.

Same holds true for the SUV/Truck vs car argument. my wife can toss her little Jetta around like no one’s business (it does quite well with 250HP and the weight of a roller skate), but put her into my 4Runner, and it’s a different woman. Much slower, easier in the bends, everything.

When we lived in England, she ran her little Renault 5 (it was the LeCar here in the US, I think) back and forth to school every day. With it’s 1.0 liter engine and 5 speed, it didn’t exactly win any racing records. One day, I was working on her car (drive axles), and she took my BMW. When she came back she told me all about how quick it was. Found out she was doing just over 120 on a back road frequented by tractors (the farm type). i made her swear not to do that gain.

While she’s a very good driver (better than most people I know, actually), the act of getting into the SUV is daunting. It’s only a bit longer/wider than the Jetta, but for someone accustomed to a small car, it’s a monster. And she wonders why I almost always back into parking spaces.

(sorry for the ramble)

Chase