VSC Light on Lexus RX300 at 62000 miles

The VSC light came on at approximately 62000 miles. Took it too a mechanic who put it on computer, found gas cap loose, and reconnected hose under air filter however no code shows on the computer for a fix. The VSC light still remains on. Tried all the internet fixes; pulling fuse & disconnecting battery cable. The light goes out but as soon as I move the car it comes back on. Is there anything I can do to avoid a large dollar visit to the Lexus dealer since there are no driving or stopping symptoms with the car.

Have you also had something like a check engine or service engine light? There’s got to be some information missing here. VSC is the vehicle stability control. There is nothing whatsoever in that system that is in any way relevant to gas caps and air hoses. So - the mechanic put it on a computer and did find some kind of error codes. You just need to find out what they are. They look like “P1234.” You could have been told that no code shows that is relevant to the VSC system. You also cannot get the computer to tell you what the fix is. The computer just provides data. It remains for a human to actually figure out what is going on.

So if you want some help with it give the mechanic a call or check your invoice for more details. In particular, any error codes that were present in the computer. If your check engine light is on then many auto parts stores will read your error codes for free. Once again, they look like “P1234” and folks here would need to know the exact code.

If you trust your mechanic why not have him/her take another look? In general its almost never the case that you have to go to a dealer - warranty & recall services are about it.

Disagree with the above. Take it to the dealer.

There is a chance that a safety item like this will be fixed under warranty no matter the mileage or the year of the vehicle.

I would not trust this mechanic if he does not know the difference between a check engine light and a VSC light.

Are you sure you didn’t accidentally hit the button on the dash and turn it off? Surprisingly, that happens more often than you’d think. Just a thought. VSC won’t normally come on without the traction control turning off, too, unless it’s turned off.

Well, mleich, a) I’m actually pretty sure than a check engine light in this system will disable the VSC as a safety to protect the vehicle from damage, and b) one still doesn’t need a dealer for a VSC system problem. So you may send this person to a dealer for a faulty gas cap if you like, but we all know where that can lead.

There is info missing. With a lot more info I might agree that a dealer could be the best option. But at the moment there is no info that suggests a malfunctioning VSC. It is also the case that a VSC equipped vehicle with the VSC disabled is just as safe as the millions of non-VSC equipped vehicles.

“I’m actually pretty sure than a check engine light in this system will disable the VSC as a safety to protect the vehicle from damage”

Cigroller is correct. When the OBD system detects a problem, it will usually shut down the VSC, as well as the traction control, and–possibly–the cruise control.

Check engine light is not on? Just the VSC light? If yes, then you have a problem in the braking ABS/VSC system that are closely linked together. Could be a bad sensor on wheel speed, old brake fluid causing a caliper to hang up, lots of possibles. If it has been 3 or more years since a brake fluid flush that is worth a try with inspection of brakes and calipers for any functional problems. Short of that, you likely will have to have a dealer read the VSC codes which are stored separately for check engine codes and ususally only a dealer’s diagnostics are able to read the VSC codes.

The engine light did come at the same time the VSC light came on for an evap leak. It was fixed and the engine light went off but VSC remained on.

To me VSC is just a fluff option that drivers have lived without for 100 years or more…After all, it’s just a light on your dash…But if you feel you MUST have this system operating, then it’s off to the dealership …VSC is intertwined with anti-lock brakes, so repairs can become complex and expensive. But for $200-$300 the dealership should be able to diagnose the problem for you and estimate what the repair will cost…

It needs to go back on a scanner. Note that not all scanners are created equal. Some just read basic OBDII diagnostic codes (the check engine light stuff). Others access all of the vehicle’s systems and can read error codes from the engine management system, body control, SRS, ABS & VSC etc. Many independent shops in my area have scanners capable of such things. So you can find out what your mechanic has, ask around at other local, independent shops, or take it to a dealer.

Either way, the computer has a reason for the VSC light and a scanner that can read it is pretty much the only first step.