Tire chains vs. cables and winter driving tips

First thing you need to find out is; Do you have a limited slip rear axle? This makes a big difference. It would be an option on your vehicle so if you have the original window sticker, it would be listed under options on it. If you don’t, you could jack up the rear of the vehicles until both wheels are off the ground, then spin one tire. If the tire on the other side spins backwards, you don’t have limited slip. If it spins in the same direction, you do.

If you have limited slip, you won’t need the chains as much, if at all. You do have to watch your speed though as without a free wheeling tire on the back, the car will have a tendency to slide out at lower speeds than a vehicle with a conventional differential. But it will take you just about anywhere at 28 mph, even with regular tires.

Because the Xterra already has a lot of weight in the back, additional weight isn’t really needed and actually make it harder to handle. I would not put it back there.

I use cables when I need them. If you going to ice race, then of course get the best studded snow tires, but for a local run for groceries, cables are fine. Just keep your speed down and don’t try to keep up with the 4wd trucks with snowtires and chains. They should slow down too but they won’t.