Tire Pressure light on my car won't turn off!

That won’t cause a blowout?

As long as the pressure is below the max pressure listed on the sidewall (but at or above the pressure listed on the car’s pressure lable) you shouldn’t have a blowout. Most all blowouts result from excessively worn tires and UNDER-inflated tires. Underinflation causes them to overheat and fail.

It won’t cause a blow-out…Under pressure is more likely to cause a blow-out then over-pressure. Too much over-pressure and you may experience a decrease in handling…but a couple of pounds over is fine.

The overheating problem really became apparent to me on some Discovery channel show, where a rig working in the winter on the north slope of Alaska had a blowout from an underinflated tire overheating.

Blowouts scare the dickens out of me…especially when driving 70 mph down the interstate. Happened to me once while driving my dad’s dodge truck with a horse trailer attached to it. Yeah that was fun. Hard part wasn’t changing the tire, but trying to get the spare out from under the truck bed. The horses were prancing around so much in the trailer that I had to disconnect the trailer from the truck to keep the truck from rocking so much, and it was snowing…Fun!

Apparently you do not have the owners manual for your Versa or you would have allready solved this simple “problem” yourself.

From the owners manual for my wifes 09 Kia: Inflate any low tires to the correct pressure and drive a few miles. The system will reset itself & the light on the dash will turn off. With the Kia driving 9 miles did the trick.

If your Versa uses the same very user friendly system thats all you need to do.
put some air (nitrogen is a waste of money) in the tires, drive a few miles & see what it does.

The dealership did that for me last year. They shot some nitrogen in the tires and drove it down the road and the light went off and stayed off…Also the light went off a few days ago when it warmed up little (in the 70’s) and then went back on when it got cold again. And now it stays on. Tomorrow I plan to go to the tireshop to get some air or nitrogen put in the tires. See there’s only three gas stations in town that have air pumps for tires and they’re all broken. The joys of living in a rural area lol.

I have a friend that has a Ford Escape hybrid and has the same problem with the tire pressure light going on in cold weather. I have a Black and Decker air station that probably cost $35 to $40 that I use to maintain the air pressure in my tires. It’s easy to use. It does have a built in gauge, but I don’t think it is as accurate as a good $10 dial gauge that I have.

Yeah my dad has a 2009 Dodge Pickup and he says it does the same thing as well.

I was driving a 2002 Windstar from my University’s fleet on my way back from a conference. We ran into a stretch of interstate that was down to one lane in our direction and the pavement had been milled. It was around 1 a.m. in the morning but the traffic was still heavy. The tire pressure light went on–apparently the vibration on that model turned the light on. When I finally got out of the construction zone and stopped for a cup of coffee, I kicked the tires and they all seemed o.k. I also found the manual in the glove compartment and figured out how to turn off the tire pressure light. It didn’t come on for the remaining 3 hours of the trip. I have never seen the real need for these low tire pressure warning lights–I check my tires every two weeks or so with a gauge and don’t find it a real problem.

That light drives me crazy lol…My previous car I had lights going off on the dash a lot and it usually meant I had to spend more money lol. I’m paranoid like that lol…

I have tire pressure monitors on my van, and with 36 psi in the tires when the temp was in the 70s the light hasn’t come on yet with the temp down to freezing some mornings. The light used to come on about once a week until I tightened the valve in the valvestem of one tire. I kinda like it so far.

I don’t understand why you’re still insisting on having the tires filled with nitrogen. Atmospheric air is mostly nitrogen. Unless your wheels have two valve stems and the shop uses an excessive amount of nitrogen, you will never get 100% of the air that was in the tire out. Nitrogen gives no benefit to passenger cars - it’s used in proper race cars to reduce pressure changes when hot. That’s hot in racing terms, where the brakes glow red hot in daylight and the tires wear out in 30 minutes from the sliding friction. Normal cars don’t get that hot, and a 1 or 2 pound difference in pressure just doesn’t matter that much.

The car came with the nitrogen lol…any other car I’ve ever owned never had had tire pressure sensors or nitro filled tires on them.

If you and your father checked/refilled the tires once a month you would never see that tire pressure warning light.

One thing our Honda Fit’s TPS did was to stay on despite filling the air in all tires until after I had turned the car off, and restarted it about 5 minutes later. The TPS takes a little getting used to. I wish it would go on without the tires having to be 10lbs low… 3-5lbs low would be preferred.

From the Nissan Versa Ownership FAQ v1.1

"Just because the light is on does not necessarily mean your system is faulty. If the light comes on steady, more than likely you have low air pressure in one of your tires. Find some place to get air for your tires, fill them all to 40 psi, then reduce pressure to 32 psi. This should shut off the TPMS if there is no fault condition. "

And from another board

Found references to three separate problems with the TPMS light coming on. They all followed this solution - no problems since.

TPMS light "on"
All tires at 32 psi
Started filling each tire to 40 psi
Left front to 40 psi-light still "on"
Left rear to 40 psi-light still "on"
Right front to 40 psi- LIGHT GOES OUT!
Dropped all 4 tires to 30 psi and light stays out.

I found a few other threads and indicating a lot of people are having problems with the TPMS. Fortunately, it is only a “techo feature” and isn’t life threatening.

It would be worth a try at least

Just a thought before I forget, did you check the air pressure in the spare? Some spare tires also have TPMS sensor and need to be filled to the proper presure.

“Just a thought before I forget, did you check the air pressure in the spare? Some spare tires also have TPMS sensor and need to be filled to the proper presure.”

I couldn’t have said it better myself.
Oh, that’s right, I did, back on November 4th!
;-))

Take a look at the earlier responses in order to read my more detailed explanation of what you stated above.

I did read ALL the post on Nov 9. But I just had the thought and posted it, just in case.