Catalytic Converter Cleaning

I appreciate you commenting so quickly, thank you. It started about a day or two after we got it back, so it ran fine for a day or so. This is a 2008 i bought new, but it has high mileage as i commute about 120 miles a day, 5 days a week for the past 3 years and we recently went over the 100,000 mile mark. I believe the mechanic is right about the ignition coils, and i can replace those myself along with the spark plugs for half of what Firestone wants, but the mechanic stated that because we are only running on 2 cylinders of a 4 cylinder right now that the gasoline would be running into the 2 that where not working as well and that it is a good idea to have them clean “something out” cause it could ruin the catalytic converter, he said that it would flush all the contaminants out. I have called around to a few different mechanics, mostly mom & pop shops i explained to them the situation the same as i have here and they don’t seem to know what the Firestone guy was talking about cleaning so i am sure i am probably not saying it right. One shop thought maybe he meant to say a muffler flush possibly. Any other ideas on what else would need to be done after replacing the ignition coils and spark plugs? Can i just forget about cleaning the catalytic converter?

Thanks,

Mike