New car - when to do first oil change?

Honda (I believe) uses a special factory installed oil and if we were talking about a Honda I’d say follow the Honda recommendation for the 1st oil change.

I don’t know about Subaru which based on your post name I’m assuming you got a new Subaru. I don’t know what Subaru recommends, but you should check your owner’s manual for any info Subaru has on “break-in” for a new car. If they say no oil change for 7K or 10K miles or to follow the “on-board” oil monitor some cars have now; then I might deviate from mfg’rs advice and change the oil between 3K and 5K miles.

I used to give the advice on 1K oil change for new cars like your dad. Now cars are made with tighter tolerances and better manufacturing processes and the oil filters are more effective. So now I don’t follow my own advice of the past. The new motor still runs “hot” due to internal friction and that will put more stress on the oil so I won’t push the factory oil much beyond 3K miles and definately have it changed out by 5K miles.

1 Like