P Metric vs. LT Metric- which one for a pickup truck?

I like the tirerack site… its great for getting customer feedback on tires. I will have to check on the load capacity and get back to you on that one. This may be a moot point if P metrics will not safely work for my pickup. However, I guess that the only reason I am even REMOTELY thinking about this question is that all major tire companies make a P metric size for my truck, as well as many other pickups. Now if they were only made for passenger cars, then why do I even have the option to buy a P metric tire? My father’s Ford F 150 calls for P255 70 R16s as well. His pickup is set up for towing too. Also, I have talked to others that run P metric on tires on their pickup trucks- regardless of what the OEM sticker tells them to do. I have researched this online and have found that load issues can arise when mounting a tire with insufficient load capacity. But they cited F-350s and heavy duty 1 ton pickups. I have a 1/2 ton that doesn’t tow or haul heavy loads. If I can buy a P metric tire that will sufficient load capacity, what else should sway me from doing this? Any thoughts? Thanks for all of your suggestions.