Leaking struts, how serious is this?

While not automotive related, I’ll give an example of “nice” and perceptions.
A few days ago my wife told me after getting off the phone with her mother that they had to turn the water off due to a leak. Her regular plumber whom she’s used and trusted for years dropped by for a quick look and stated the pipes were rusted out, they would all need to be replaced for several thousand dollars, and it would have to wait a few days because he was so busy.

So I volunteer to go in Sat. evening to see if I could patch the leak in some way and get the water back on. I crawled under the house and saw no mud and no rusty pipes, only one small damp spot. Since something wasn’t adding up I turned the water on and noted a steady drip from a pipe but it was not the pipe that was leaking. The floor was slightly damp just above the pipe and water was dripping from that spot.

The hot water tank and central A/C unit was in a closet space just above that and when examined I found the leak to be a short 12’ connection pipe on the hot water tank. It had a pin sized hole and was spraying water on the wall and then leaking down.
Off to Lowes I went and when I returned this problem was cured in 5 minutes time for a total investment of 12 bucks and change.

Back home I go and 2 hours later my mother in law is profusely thankful to me for fixing this problem but was already defending the plumber. She states that he “probably just missed it”. Really? The pipes are NOT rusty and a blind man should not have missed this one. It took me all of 5 minutes to figure it out and another 5 to repair it.

She is also planning to use him in the future if need be. Go figure.