Best cars under $5000

Having owned a '68 Volvo P 1800 for 31 years (only 232K!), I knew very well that I should not invest in an older car unless I either had great direct knowledge and skill (nope) - or in my case had a talented, honest, proactive (Mercedes/insert brand) mechanic. I vetted the mechanic before I ever bought the first car. He was great for me for 15 years, then finally retired in the last year. His replacement is good but in no way GREAT like my former guy.
So, that will factor heavily into my next car decision.

Anyway, the way to get value out of used cars is to first do your general research (repair records, cost, many-sourced reviews), then combine that with your own preferences in power, seating, safety, setup, space, cost, style, & options. Develop a “gotta have” “would like to have” and “can do without” list. Then go looking for a deal. Best are usually from owners (you can generally tells the gems pretty quickly -look around at their place, listen to how they talk about their car(s)) directly but certainly not only.
Always stay true to your original decision matrix. If you run across significant new info or input, then revise your decision tree. The stick to that.
And know where you are going to take your car or what your plan is if it breaks.

I would put my 15 year total driving costs ( esp. considering the low original entry costs and the overall quality and features of “my ride”) up against just about anyone.