Cooling fan on 2004 Saturn ION

"My 2004 Saturn ION just overheated."

Please describe the overheating. Temperature gauge in the "red," coolant boiling out on the ground, steam from engine, etcetera. Was any steam or white smoke ever coming from the tailpipe behind the car ?

Please describe the situation in which it occured. Were you moving down the road, idling, etcetera ?

Does the vehicle have a "low coolant" warning in addition to high temperature indication ? Did this alert you ?

Do you know how the shop diagnosed the problem ? They should have been able to test the fan/motor quite easily.

The reason I'm asking so many questions is that this condition can be difficult to diagnose. I'd hate for you to put all this stuff on and still have an overheat problem. Sometimes even low coolant level can cause all of your symtoms and one needs to determine why it was low. Some 03-04 Ions with the 2.2L engine have been found to have porous cylinder heads, for example.

Do you have air conditioning ? Do you know where the electric radiator cooling fan is ? If you start the car and run it for a few seconds and turn on the air conditioning (set to "cold" and A/C / heaterblower fan "on") does the radiator fan run ? Don't put your fingers down there. Fans bite !

You'll not want to operate this car until the problem is resolved. Any actual overheating has the potential of damaging the car's engine and/or cooling system. Do you know which engine you have ?

CSA