Bad idea to get my daughter a manual if she doesn't know how to drive one?

What Is Crazy Though Is To Put A Young Person In Such A Little, Dangerous Car

According To A Wall Street Journal Article Titled:
Small Cars Are Dangerous Cars

While I agree that generally a smaller, lighter car is less safe, all else being equal. Statics prove that. However it must be remembered that the most important safety device is the driver. If you want proper data, you need to adjust for the fact that drivers of small cars are not the same as the general driving public.

I would suggest that on average the drivers of small cars are younger and more aggressive drivers than those of large cars.

I remember my first static’s class look at a General Electric study of street lights in, as I recall Hoboken NJ. They installed street lamps on all the even numbered streets and left the odd number streets without street lamps. The result was as expected, crime was reduced.

However someone decided to look at a little deeper. While it did not show up on the original study, the odd numbered streets had crime increase almost equal to the decrease on the even numbered streets.

Back on topic, I suggest that today few people need to know manual. I Have never owned an automatic transmission car. Both my kids learned on a manual, but not everyone does nor do they need to.