1959 Nash Metropolitan

A SUBARU JUSTY ENGINE…THE GL1800… Just kidding…inside joke.

That is if I am correct the tiny little Nash vehicle…no? Yes I think it is… I believe these came with a variant if not the exact same engines as MG’s used to have…the 1500-1600-1800 MGB engines would probably bolt right up…

Hell you could put in a TON of interesting engines in there…You would need to install an adapter plate to adapt most FWD engines to do RWD duty…prob best to go with a modern stock drivetrain that was designed for RWD from the get go.

I would LOVE to see you install a Honda S2000 drivetrain in there…its a 4cyl attached to a 6sp manual trans with 240HP! Sweet…with rear wheel drive…that would be a crazy setup. You wouldnt have to drive the wheels off of the car either…that engine is quite docile when asked to be…I would like to see any Honda engine in there…Toyota…Nissan makes the SR20 engines which are RWD found in the 240SX…they come in Turbo as well… A Mazda Miata Engine and trans would be great too! But this project would require you to beef up the other systems…BRAKES being the biggest one off the top of my head. But you get the idea…How big of a project do you want…just an engine swap and no other chassis mods…or as few as possible?

There are many many others…but I think that most modern engines today in 4cylinder config…were designed for FWD which isnt that big of a deal to mount them to a RWD trans…just takes more work and creativity…Will you be doing this yourself?

If you didnt want to go with a modern fuel injected engine…you can look to Toyota 20R…22R…or the injected 22RE… Those are great engines and very reliable…not performance kings, but plenty worthwhile…There are many many more How many choices do you want and do you want a modern powertrain or an older simpler style? Dont be too afraid of modern powertrains when they come complete all you really need is to fab up fuel supply and power and exhaust to get them running…they are self sufficient in that they usually have all they need to run aside from fuel and power and ex gas hookups… All depends on what you want to tackle…