2005 chevy impala 3.4 overheating

ok so i have a doosy of a problem. i recently had an issue with my car overheating so i changed the thermostat. about 3 months later it happens again. i know i need a new tensioner arm but i decide to wait on it. i take it to a place and have the radiator flushed and the guy calls me back to the garage and says your belt fell off… i was like o man, so he showed me how it would slip off the tensioner and i said ok and put a new tensioner on. he called me back and said he found a new problem my crank shaft pully was wobbeling a little. i didnt have enough money to have him check it out further so he said he would just finish the flush and go from there. after he finished the flush he said there is still a problem with the heating on the car. he didnt know if the problem came from the pump, the t stat, or somthing like a sensor. and it would cost alot in research time for him to find the problem and fix it. so i am going to take it to another mechanic. i have replaced the pump about 2 years ago, i replaced the t stat about 3 times before the flush over about 1 years time, i replaced the stepper motors on the gauges since they went bad. and now im at a loss on what to do next. i just wish that click and clack would come fix my car :stuck_out_tongue:

i was just told by another mechanic that the impeller in the pump might have gone bad again?

The impeller on that pump is virtually indestructable. I cant see one on a 3.1/3.4 going bad except leaking or bad bearing. Are the fans coming on? These engines are notorious for leaking intake gaskets.

not sure of the fans… would this cause the heater to not work? because that happens on occasion. when i rev the engine it will usually kick back on and cool the engine off

plus its an aftermarket pump i had installed a while back

Kick back on and cool the engine off? Not quite sure what yer after. Overheating? Or heater not providing heat? Heater blower motor not working? I believe the cooling fans should be coming on when engine reaches 222 degrees farenheit. What I can gather from what you have typed, it overheats and you have no heat? If so the first thing to do is quit slinging parts at it. Is it full of coolant? Does the coolant mysteriously disappear? How is the oil? Chances are, over the amount of time/mileage that you’ve neen dealing with an overheating engine, the head gaskets are probably done. It needs diagnosed, not more parts slung at it. I’ve read on this website that there are reputable shops listed, probably one in your neighborhood. Look em up.

Have you found out any other things cuz I just got done changing my thermostat as well and now the gauge is going up

Kiley, this is an 8 year old inactive thread . Please start your own with a good list of your problems .

1 Like

Ok my car is still overheating

Mine ended up being a bad gauge motor.reppaced the motor on he gauge and works fine. Or buy a new cluster if your not comfortable soldering.

1 Like

I know this might be a silly question but if you don’t put enough coolant in your radiator Reserve could that make your engine overheat

Did the engine actually overheat or did the guage just go wonkey

So at the beginning the gauge went wonky and then after that I added more coolant

Ya either just ignore it or replace the gauges. I know the fuel gauge could go wonkey also. Unless the car actually overheated don’t waste your money

Ok thank u

Has anybody bothered to measure the actual temperature . . . a laser thermometer comes to mind, or an external and separate coolant temperature sensor and gauge

Common issue is gauge failure. More so than overheat

In my opinion, it’s dangerous to assume the coolant temperature gauge is inaccurate, versus actually confirming it

Sure, I’ve ran into a few situations where the stepper motor and/or even the sensor were inaccurate, but I’ve ran into plenty of engines that were actually overheating, no joke

I’m out of here

So do u work on cars

Kiley , I am going to try this again. You need to have your own thread. The person called Mark had a gauge cluster problem . You have an over heating problem . They are not the same thing.

2 Likes