Timing Chain 1999 Infiniti I30/ Nissan Maxima

Do I have to change the timing chain? I’ve gotten conflicting reports. Some say the chain will last “forever” others say I’m on borrowed time. My car has 160k miles on it. Thanks so much for your help.

Timing chains normally last the life of the engine, and do not need to be replaced.

There are instances when a timing chain goes bad, but they are rare. Very rare in your case. If the chain were going bad you’d hear it. You don’t report any problems, just a recommendation to change the chain based on age/mileage.

As I said last night, check the maintenance section of the owner’s manual. If there is a replacement interval for the chain it will be listed. It’s not listed because there isn’t one.

The 3.0 Nissan V6 has a reputation as an extremely reliable engine.

You usually don’t replace a timing chain until there is a problem. The chain is running through an oil bath and gets well lubricated and lasts the life of the motor in most cases. A timing chain that is going bad often makes noise before it lets go completely.

When a motor is torn down and rebuilt that is a good time to replace the timing chain while the motor is apart. Most motors with timing chains are non interference motors, meaning a broken chain doesn’t damage the valves and pistons. I’m not sure if your particular motor is an interference motor or not.

Keep motoring on until it gets loud or snaps. Then decide. The likely case it will head to the junkyard as timing chains generally are very expensive to replace compared to timing belts which are considered a service item.

This is NOT an interference engine. So you shouldn’t have to worry about it.

Thank you! I’m going to replace the valve cover gaskets, EGR valve and a knock sensor. The key to whether I keep the car or get a new one is whether or not I have to replace the timing chain because that pretty much puts the expense of repairs over the tipping point. If I do those 3, should I be OK?

Yes, you should be perfectly OK.

I wouldn’t waste any time worrying about the timing chain.

A million thanks to all of the Car Talk posters who have generously given their time and expertise to answer my questions. The result is that I decided to NOT buy a new car and instead to keep my beloved Infiniti I30. I found a terrific mechanic on the Car Talk web site and got a quote to fix the valve cover gaskets, EGR valve, and knock sensor for $900. Not only that, he said he’ll reduce the cost of the EGR valve part ($192) if he can just clean it instead of changing it (talk about an honest mechanic). This is going to save me $650 (or $850 without the part) compared to the dealership repair shop. A bargain in comparison to buying a new car. Thank you all once again.

1 Like

When you find out that his fellow’s work is quality, then make sure you stick with him. Eliminates a lot of headaches down the line.

Mind recommending me to the shop. ?

This is a nine-year-old discussion, I doubt they’ll get back to you.

Takeda Enterprises 1610 W Artesia Blvd Gardena, CA 90248. Takeda-san might be the most honest mechanic I’ve ever met and maybe the only one in existence :wink: - several times he made recommendations to me that saved me money and would’ve made money for a less honorable person (and I would’ve been none the wiser). This included telling me to not pay for a certain repair or service. And yes, it’s absolutely ridiculous that 9 years later I still remember him and whoever asked is very lucky! :slight_smile:

Yeah , but what is the chance that the place you used then still has the same owner or employees . And does onerjulio even live near that place ?

I looked it up on Yelp so it’s certainly still open and the name of the place is his name - Takeda. Even the photos on Yelp look the same. He doesn’t work alone but check out these reviews, still stellar. https://www.yelp.com/biz/takeda-enterprises-gardena-2

I’d say: try finding an auto mechanic that fosters such effusive reviews and loyalty - anywhere! I get nothing from this, I just like seeing the good guys get rewarded, especially in a field where there are so many less than honorable…OK, I’ll say it, sleazy and nefarious people out there.

With a screen name like @SCMSoCal . . . @onerjulio_169346 must have known we’re talking about southern california

I highly doubt they’ll ask for the name of the shop if they don’t live in southern california

I was curious and called them up - yes Mr. Takeda is still there, and is still the owner.

1 Like

Yup hope so been looking around for a few places.

1 Like