Traction and stability control vs awd

AWD is superior to FWD or RWD cars equipped with ABS, traction, and stability control. Of course the AWD car has ABS, traction, and stability control too.

IF, you live on a mountain and encounter lots of difficult snow conditions then get AWD. If you live in the other 95% of snow country you will do fine with FWD if you put good winter tires on all 4 wheels.

I would rather drive a FWD car with winter tires than an AWD with the all season tires that come on the car. To me the tires are more critical than AWD or FWD. If I lived in an area where I needed AWD I would also put winter tires on the AWD car. If you have AWD and winter tires you can deal with just about anything as long as you can see where you are going.

The main reason NOT to get AWD is the whole drive train is much more complex and will require more repairs and maintenance; as in more expensive to own. In fact, AWD can be much more expensive. If you have one tire go flat that can’t be patched you have to buy 4 new tires. Mismatch tires will kill an AWD system and cost thousands of dollars to repair. So, even though AWD is better don’t get it unless you really - REALLY need it. Most of the time it will just cost you about 2 mpg less fuel economy, increase your repair and maintenance costs, and add $2,000 or so to the price of the car.